Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Need some advice before I use more of my retainer.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 01:52 PM
1st Gear

Power Audi of Newport Beach

Old 09-20-2008, 01:36 PM
4th Gear

Did you buy your TT CPO?
Stealerships say that the over-rev code voids their warrantee.
Which obviously gets them out of paying for whatever is wrong with the car.

I'm pretty sure the over-rev code doesn't cause a check engine light, so you wouldn't have known when it occurred; unless you had vag-com and were continuously checking for codes. Also, I don't believe there is a way to show when the codes occurred, unless the dealers tools are different. Me thinks this is why shops are always trying to "recreate" the problem.

If you smelt something sweet upon attempted to start your car my guess would be coolant. With the smell of coolant could be a failed water pump. Which if gone untreated could cause this problem you're having. Has the stealership checked the waterpump?

When you go to look at the car ask them where the waterpump is. Then look at the plastic fins. You should be able to tell if some of the fins are missing/broken.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Old 09-20-2008, 01:47 PM
1st Gear

This happened to a friend of mine, but his fault was due to water pump and bearing failure, it locked up and caused a spill of coolant while sat at traffic lights, he was fairly knowledgeable so didnt try to start it up until getting out to inspect, he saw coolant pissing out all over the floor.. so had it pushed to the side of the road and flat bedded to a local dealer.... the timing belt was intact and the tension was fine, the water pump jammed and caused the engine to fail without doing any damage to the engine other than the loss of coolant. They changed the timing belt, water pump and tensioner and away he went, hes done 30k miles since with no problems.

He suggested he had similar issues you describe regarding engine dying etc... however, he didn't try to restart knowing a little about timing belts and their issues on TT's.

So as suggested, ask to see the water pump and check its fins and also spin it around, it should be solid and smooth, if its noisy or jerky then the bearings have gone and it could have given symptoms of the Timing belt failure, but the continued starting actually caused the belt to jump due to the pump being 'jammed' thus sequentially damaging the head and valves...

only a possibility though, hope its not the case.