Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Need some advice before I use more of my retainer.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 06:25 PM
1st Gear

I just spoke to the service rep about doing a compression test and how much would it cost, he flat out told me "we did a look at your engine codes and there are over rev codes and thats what caused it" I will admit at times I have drove the car fast and when I first got the car I mis-shifted but NOT during the time the engine failed.

I asked him how much would it cost, and he said "listen buddy, i'm not doing a compression test" .. and I said.. well, what if I paid for one anyway, why can't I have it done? and he told me it was a waste of his money and my time and hes not doing it period.

How should I deal with this? I have a feeling I'm just going to get shafted..

Old 09-11-2008, 08:03 PM
4th Gear

Ou the nerve! You get that service rep back on the phone, and get smart right back at them!

Here's what you need to say without letting them get one word in...

"How can my engine over rev... Didn't Audi put a limiter on how high it could go? I was under the impression that was the purpose of the red line. But okay I'll humor the idea that my engine over revved... Tell me something... Did that fancy computer of yours also tell you which demon possessed my car, made it break the rev limit (imposed by your fine company) and cause this problem to begin with? I mean it's possible that my tires spun once last Winter on some ice. Do you think that one over revving has been just hanging out in my car growing like a virus, and waiting until my bank account became weak for it's perfect opportunity to attack? Also tell me, why it is that you will not accept my money to preform further diagnostic test to ease my mind. Is my money no good at your dealership? I mean sure it might be a little warm considering I just printed it up last night, but don't worry my cousin works at the bank, and he's totally cool with it. I told him how I was paying for your fees, and he said it's no biggie. If you want to talk about time, how about the absurd amount of time that you have had my car in the shop! Only to tell me that the car broke itself by becoming rebellious to it's own limits, or some demon possessed it last Winter! Neither of which are a diagnosis.... BUDDY! So, since you have proven to me that it's unlikely you will be promoted any time soon; I would now like to speak to the mechanic who hooked my car up to your fancy computer! Thank you, and yes I'll hold while you go get the mechanic."

*once you get the mechanic on the phone just ask him what he thinks is going on with your car. Be cool with him, and you'll be able to "pick his brain" aka; ask a lot of questions in regard to what he's explaining*

Old 09-12-2008, 12:24 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ttManz
I just spoke to the service rep about doing a compression test and how much would it cost, he flat out told me "we did a look at your engine codes and there are over rev codes and thats what caused it" I will admit at times I have drove the car fast and when I first got the car I mis-shifted but NOT during the time the engine failed.

I asked him how much would it cost, and he said "listen buddy, i'm not doing a compression test" .. and I said.. well, what if I paid for one anyway, why can't I have it done? and he told me it was a waste of his money and my time and hes not doing it period.

How should I deal with this? I have a feeling I'm just going to get shafted..
Make sure it's the TB and have it towed to a different dealer. They are not going to fix your car (correctly) no matter what. I think your just wasting time with them.

On a side note, though... if you did rev very high, maybe try to erase those codes or swap ecu's... Make sure it's the TB first though, it would really suck in the (ultra rare) case they were correct about over reving distroying your engine.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by ouTTie914
Ou the nerve! You get that service rep back on the phone, and get smart right back at them!

Here's what you need to say without letting them get one word in...

"How can my engine over rev... Didn't Audi put a limiter on how high it could go? I was under the impression that was the purpose of the red line. But okay I'll humor the idea that my engine over revved... Tell me something... Did that fancy computer of yours also tell you which demon possessed my car, made it break the rev limit (imposed by your fine company) and cause this problem to begin with? I mean it's possible that my tires spun once last Winter on some ice. Do you think that one over revving has been just hanging out in my car growing like a virus, and waiting until my bank account became weak for it's perfect opportunity to attack? Also tell me, why it is that you will not accept my money to preform further diagnostic test to ease my mind. Is my money no good at your dealership? I mean sure it might be a little warm considering I just printed it up last night, but don't worry my cousin works at the bank, and he's totally cool with it. I told him how I was paying for your fees, and he said it's no biggie. If you want to talk about time, how about the absurd amount of time that you have had my car in the shop! Only to tell me that the car broke itself by becoming rebellious to it's own limits, or some demon possessed it last Winter! Neither of which are a diagnosis.... BUDDY! So, since you have proven to me that it's unlikely you will be promoted any time soon; I would now like to speak to the mechanic who hooked my car up to your fancy computer! Thank you, and yes I'll hold while you go get the mechanic."

*once you get the mechanic on the phone just ask him what he thinks is going on with your car. Be cool with him, and you'll be able to "pick his brain" aka; ask a lot of questions in regard to what he's explaining*
You rock !!! I was just thinking about the whole rev. limiter thing earlier. Ford did the same thing to me and I told them to F off and come get their piece of crap out of my driveway !!!

Old 09-12-2008, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by jakej
Make sure it's the TB and have it towed to a different dealer. They are not going to fix your car (correctly) no matter what. I think your just wasting time with them.

On a side note, though... if you did rev very high, maybe try to erase those codes or swap ecu's... Make sure it's the TB first though, it would really suck in the (ultra rare) case they were correct about over reving distroying your engine.
Ditto, put your stock chip back in to erase the footprints of any engine tuning that they could use against you !!! That would definately void your warranty !!!

Old 09-12-2008, 01:07 AM
1st Gear

Haven't modded the car, so that point is fine.

Basically, at this point the car is at the dealer and all I have AUTHORIZED is the recall timing belt inspection. I am quite curious if checking the rev code etc is part of that process?

But listen, long story short, what do I need to do at this point to make sure I get this taken care of by the lawsuit. What can I say to audi corporate that based off of the work they have done "visual inspection" that it is impossible for them to diagnose the engine damage because of a, b, and C.. In fact, I will need to talk to the service manager most likely.. or.. again, should I just take it to an independnt shop and would that void my opportunity for getting the car fixed for free?

Are any of you audi guys who are an expert in this area live in CA? I would pay (not much, i'm poor ;*( ) for you to come with me when they allow me to inspect the vehicle before they put it back together.. it would probaly be this saturday..

And anyway, back to the point of the timing belt inspection.. If they say that the timing belt should be replaced does that help or hurt me with regards to the engine.. is it even related? I am starting to feel like they don't give a rats *** the engine is siezed they are just there to check the timing belt and otherwise they won't do anything else unless I pay for it.. does anyone have an attorney who has dealt with audi usa and has successfully won to make them do this work.. or do I even have any rights to tell them to do so?

For the tensioner, when I look at it, how can I tell that it is working properly and has not slipped?

For the compression test, how could an over-rev void it being the timing belt issue?

Does anyone know what (or where I can look) for information on what audi's actual responsibility to diagnose the engine damage after the fact that the timing belt issue... or do I need to have the engine inspected and THEN assert its because of the timing belt, tensioner, etc

Also, are there any easy tests that can be done to disprove the over-rev theory? I know i'm bugging you guys a bit on this but i'm sure this information will help somebody one day.. sometimes you just gotta find that one piece to the puzzle.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:53 AM

the only way to know for shure whats wrong is to tear it apart and see what happened. theyre just assuming that the motor is "F"ed up beacaude they found a so called over rev in the history, but that not be why the engines trash. they're trying to pass the buck. you might have to take it to court. I had to take ford to court for my wifes focus. one of the valves was tapping, i took it in and they said it was low on oil, i told them they were full of **** and proved it to them at the dealer that it wasn't low on oil !!! what they did was took it for a test drive to hear for the noise and then checked the oil without letting it drain into the sump....j@ck @$$e$ !!! then they asked me for the service records and I told them that I do it all myself and they wanted all reciepts for the oil. without even diagnosing why the valve was tappping !!! long story short I turned the car back in and took em to court.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:06 AM

There is no code for overrev. since you dont have a chip you couldnt go past redline, unless you mis shifted. also if it overrevved the engine will most likely still turn over just fine. I was at redline in 4th gear and mis shifted to 3rd gear which obviously bent my valves. I drove the car home then to the dealer, and although it ran poorly it still drove ok under slight throttle. Take it to a different shop and pay for a diganosis and contact somebody with authority in your state/city. After all this go to audi with the facts, and not the same dealer. Also contact Audi corporate and have them figure out what other dealer you should take your car to. You need an unbiased opinion testing your car and it be someone who is aware they are not going to repair your car. this will prevent them from misdiagnosing the situation in the shops favor. get it in writing!

Old 09-12-2008, 04:20 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by precision tt
There is no code for overrev.
There is a code for the speed sensor which monitors high rpm. Numerous situations could activate this code and chances are it isn't the reason for your damage. I agree you are getting the runaround.
What are the specifics on your car: mileage, year etc, and what dealer are you going to so that we will all know not to go there?

Old 09-12-2008, 10:04 AM
3rd Gear

what dealership did you take it to?

Quick Reply: Need some advice before I use more of my retainer.