Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Need Help! - Possible Issues Related to Turbo Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Default Need Help! - Possible Issues Related to Turbo Replacement

Hi All!

Okay here’s my dilemma, my 2000 180hp coupe Quattro TT has 158K miles on it. It has been diagnosed by both a dealer, and independent service shop as having an internal oil leak into the turbo system, which cause blue smoke to come out the exhaust depending on the driving conditions.

A compression test was done by the independent service shop. Results 190- 190 – 200 – 195 psi. There is no leak down through the pistons, plugs are not fouled.

A couple of points I would love to hear your opinions on:
1. It has been recommended by a few forum members to upgrade to the K04 turbo, which I’m told is the turbo for the 225hp version of the TT. Has anyone who has purchased the upgraded turbo experienced any problems such as extra wear on the drive train, shocks poorer gas mileage, engine running hotter etc. as a result of their upgrade?

2. The independent shop is recommending removal of the cylinder head for inspection & possible rebuild & for further inspection of cylinder walls in addition to replacing the turbo. Is this necessary for my 158K mile car or just another way to get more money out of me?

I am waiting for an estimate for the work of checking, and possibly doing the upper end and turbo upgrade. It’s been a week & ½ so far.

However, the Audi dealer is telling me, since there is no oil leakage past the pistons etc. that there is not need to look into the top end. For the labor and cost of the stock turbo I’m looking at $3.1K through the dealer. Cost of labor and top end upgrade an estimate of another $1.5K. Cost of upgraded turbo to be determined.

To me, to buy another car for $20K would cost me about $4K down and to finance the other $16K, which would cost probably $400 - $500 a month on payments. My TT is paid in full, so I have no monthly car payment, so it seems to make sense to keep my car at this time.

Any thoughts on whether I need to check out or have replace parts from the top end, and if the K04 turbo with the extra power will do more harm than good? Sure I’d like a little extra boost, but not if it is not cost effective. To me durability and cost efficiency is more important.

Thanks!

Old 11-09-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Need Help! - Possible Issues Related to Turbo Replacement

ORIGINAL: TT_Tim

Hi All!

Okay here’s my dilemma, my 2000 180hp coupe Quattro TT has 158K miles on it. It has been diagnosed by both a dealer, and independent service shop as having an internal oil leak into the turbo system, which cause blue smoke to come out the exhaust depending on the driving conditions.

A compression test was done by the independent service shop. Results 190- 190 – 200 – 195 psi. There is no leak down through the pistons, plugs are not fouled. Your motor has 158k miles and has almost perfect compression? Seemslike its either not the original or rebuilt, so the motor is more than good.

A couple of points I would love to hear your opinions on:
1. It has been recommended by a few forum members to upgrade to the K04 turbo, which I’m told is the turbo for the 225hp version of the TT. Has anyone who has purchased the upgraded turbo experienced any problems such as extra wear on the drive train, shocks poorer gas mileage, engine running hotter etc. as a result of their upgrade? The car is more than capable than much more than that. you wont wear out anything faster with a upgrade. But if you want a replacement turbo, i have a ko3s (slightly bigger than the stock 2000 ko3) sitting in my room. Send me a pm if you are interested.

2. The independent shop is recommending removal of the cylinder head for inspection & possible rebuild & for further inspection of cylinder walls in addition to replacing the turbo. Is this necessary for my 158K mile car or just another way to get more money out of me? Your motor is in perfect shape from the compression test. Its just the oil seals in the turbo. Swap it out and your golden.

I am waiting for an estimate for the work of checking, and possibly doing the upper end and turbo upgrade. It’s been a week & ½ so far. You can save yourself tons of money and do it yourself by just installing a new turbo yourself, its pretty easy.

However, the Audi dealer is telling me, since there is no oil leakage past the pistons etc. that there is not need to look into the top end. For the labor and cost of the stock turbo I’m looking at $3.1K through the dealer. Cost of labor and top end upgrade an estimate of another $1.5K. Cost of upgraded turbo to be determined. Your really looking at $200 for a used turbo and about 4-5hours in personal labor.

To me, to buy another car for $20K would cost me about $4K down and to finance the other $16K, which would cost probably $400 - $500 a month on payments. My TT is paid in full, so I have no monthly car payment, so it seems to make sense to keep my car at this time.

Any thoughts on whether I need to check out or have replace parts from the top end, and if the K04 turbo with the extra power will do more harm than good? Sure I’d like a little extra boost, but not if it is not cost effective. To me durability and cost efficiency is more important. The cost of a k04-2x upgrade would be just as much as a bigger turbo setup and you can get much more power out of it.

Thanks!