Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

My tt ate two bowls of rice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 05:24 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: My tt ate two bowls of rice.

umm... yea. i'd still choose a skyline.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:55 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: datsun280zturbo

I agree with Z06Guy, and here’s why. I think those who tout their horsepower/liter ratio as something of value are missing the point. I think, as car enthusiasts, that what we find valuable in a car is its performance. Think about the following options- Given two identical cars (size, weight, weight distribution, handling characteristics….etc) both make 300whp. Car #1 makes this power from a 2liter 4 cylinder, car #2 makes the same power from a 5liter V8. Which would you choose? (both cars are N/A)
When you brag about an engine’s hp/liter ratio, that is the equivalent of choosing car #1 and bragging that it is somehow more choice worthy than car #2. This is not a rational thing to do when essentially the cars are identical, they are just choosing a different way of making that power. Do I think that it is sad when a 4.6liter V8 makes only 300hp when a 2liter makes 240hp? Not at all. That’s just how the manufacture chose to make that given amount of hp. Would the car be any better if it had a smaller motor and made the same power? No, it would be the same.
You might want to argue that smaller engines will typically have less weight and thus will perform better because they will weigh less when put in an equivalent car. This is true. But when you make this argument you are no longer making an argument for hp/liter, you are making an argument for hp/engine weight, which is a perfectly legitimate argument that should be respected. The same goes for the argument that smaller displacement engines have a smaller physical size and can thus fit in a smaller and lighter car. This is also true but again this is not arguing for hp/liter it is arguing for hp/physical engine size, which is again a perfectly legitimate argument.
But the fact is that in real life, the smaller engines that make equivalent power as much bigger ones usually do so through some sort of forced induction. Then you have (for example) a turbo, intercooler, and all sorts of duct work that take away the weight and size arguments from above.
For those who like to argue that any engine with a high hp/liter ratio is somehow better made or engineered, that is simply false. Just look on the internet and find specs for RC airplane motors. These engines have a hp/liter ratio of about 1,000hp/liter. Does this mean that these engines are all better engineered than high output 4cyl engines. Certainly not. If you scale up an RC airplane motor to the size of a car engine, will it continue to make the same hp/liter? The answer is no. The larger the engine the more it suffers from diminishing marginal returns. So when comparing hp/liter ratios of different engines, the bigger engines will always be at a disadvantage.
Remember it is the end result of the performance of a car, not how it achieves that performance that makes one car more choice worthy than another.
Damn your smart. We must be related or something.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:28 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Z06guy

ORIGINAL: krnaudi

But I don't care, I'd take this setup on this car....
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZqD9B027ZGA
Sweet car, but wouldn't you rather have the 911 that smoked him with lazy lines probably with the AC on listening to classical music and having to shift about half as often?
nope...
because I like race car, not old people race car. ^^
and I enjoy the "raw" ness in a car... I miss my AE86, that thing was so fun to drive.

Skyline is a great car, beautiful and well balanced as well. I agree that it is overrated and over the years has become somewhat of a fanboy car. I'm not dissing on anyone that likes Skylines, because hell I love em too. and I agree with z06guy, seems to me he's a real car enthusiasts unlike other asses i see on most forums that have biased minds, the world needs more people like this...

Old 09-07-2007, 03:29 AM
1st Gear

nope...
because I like race car, not old people race car. ^^
and I enjoy the "raw" ness in a car...
Thanks for the kind words. I can totally respect this opinion, but my jaw dropped when you called a 911 an old person's car. I think wealthy people of all ages buy them. And close your eyes and give me 1/2day and I'll turn that 911 into a "raw" race car if that's what you like. It will cost you nothing and will make the car even faster. Actually, selling all those luxo parts you don't like could probably net you a few grand! The point is, it's tough to make a "nice" car run like that on the track and easy to fix any car you consider not raw enough. I'm not putting down the Honda powered Elise at all. It's a killer track car. But faster, nicer, and better looking is a pretty tough combo to pass up.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:18 AM
2nd Gear

I had a 911 (91') & I'm 20, so no way it's a old persons car. Then again I had it for about a month until I had to make my first car payment. Yea nevermind it's a older persons car. They can afford it.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:26 AM
I'm make believe

I would take a 911 any day.Also i have always been a turbo car guy, probably always will.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:30 AM
1st Gear

Yeah, it's just I see so many old people drive 911 around.
True it isn't that hard to make a car "raw" ^^

Maybe it's just something about the loud japanese 4banger noise I like. But I do love the sound of a flat 6, or anyother engine...

Old 09-09-2007, 10:12 AM
1st Gear

Maybe it's just something about the loud japanese 4banger noise I like. But I do love the sound of a flat 6, or anyother engine...
Just consider yourself lucky you seeANYBODY driving 911s around. Here in southern Arizona they are a very rare sight with anybody behind the wheel. But if your looking for mid '90's chevy full size trucks with ugly *** 15"x 14" rims sticking out, Altezza tail lights, and a windshield visor this is the place to be!! []

Old 09-10-2007, 01:27 PM
SoCal Crew Member

a flat 6 o_O? wha cars run flat 6's? i know boxers in the subaru family run flat 4's...

but it's a shame inline-6's are a rarity and it only seems BMW is utilizing that engine. boo @ V-6's!

Old 09-10-2007, 01:33 PM
I'm make believe

All mid engine rwd porsches have boxer engines also.

The VR plateform by VW/Audi is about as close as your going to find in a modern car basides the BMW

Quick Reply: My tt ate two bowls of rice.