Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

My car is leaking coolant from a Y shaped hose above some gears, can I fix it myself?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 04:39 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy My car is leaking coolant from a Y shaped hose above some gears, can I fix it myself?

I have a 2000 Audi TT, 146K miles. I bought this little lemon in January, and am not sure when the last time the timing belt has been replaced.
I have replaced the battery, crank shaft sensor, and I changed the alternator myself with the help of Google. There is a slight oil leak somewhere, because I have to add about a half liter of engine oil every month. I also have to add brake fluid all the time. I add more to the fill line, every time I get gas.

NOW, it's leaking coolant! I noticed it two days ago when my airconditioner started blowing hot air, and I looked down at the temperature gauge and it was all the way on "hot".
So I pulled over, and saw that I was completely out of coolant (The person who last had the car also used green coolant, and not the G12). Got a gallon of pre-mixed antifreeze from Auto Zone, and keep refilling it to the fill line before I go anywhere. Have already used the whole gallon in three days.
It's very strange tho: yesterday, after sitting in the parking lot at work all day, there wasn't any coolant leaked out underneath the car, then I drove it home, parked it in the driveway for a couple hours, and when I came out to check it on my way to the gym, saw a whole puddle had leaked out, and I had to add another cup of coolant.

I've been trying to see exactly where it is coming from, I can't be exactly sure if this is the only spot, but it appears to be leaking out of a 'Y' shaped black hose directly above some type of gears, sort-of towards the center passenger side. This is the only general direction the leaking is coming from, but as it drips down, it falls on the gears, and the gears then send it to other directions, so I can't tell exactly if that's the only leak.

Does anyone know what this hose is called, and where I can buy another one, and if I can replace it myself? I am thinking that I want to try to replace the Y shaped hose, and then see if there is any more leaking. And I also want to wait until Friday, so I have all weekend to work on it, since this is my only transportation. Does anyone know if that is OK to do: keep driving the car until the weekend, just make sure the coolant is topped off and it is not overheating? Also, after I fix the leaks, should I drain the green anti-freeze mix, and replace it with G12? If anyone can help me with this I would appreciate it very much!! Thank you! =)

Old 09-27-2012, 10:10 PM
3rd Gear

It's called a coolant flange. Call ecs tuning and order a new one. BE SURE TO GET THE RIGHT INE. Look at the configuration of yours/take a picture, then compare it to the ones on ecs website. They ARE NOT ALL THE SAME.

Adding more coolant instead of fixing the leak, just means that your pouring more coolant to the ground. Fix the flange. Not hard at all. 30-45min max.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

As far as the car "leaking" oil. Its a turbo car, they are going to consume a little oil over time. Especially with a stock piping setup and no catch can. And the coolant leak seems pretty straight firward., there are lots of helpful d.i.y.s out there on numerous forums.