Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

My '01 TT is coming up on 95K miles. Time to sell?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:30 PM
1st Gear
Default My '01 TT is coming up on 95K miles. Time to sell?

My mechanic recently advised me that TT’s start suffering from “scary” problems around 95k miles. He said I should definitely sell because otherwise “your car will be in here all the time and you’re going to hate me.” I’m wondering if other TT owners on this site agree that I should sell? I love my TT and I'm not thrilled with the idea of parting with it.

My TT just came off Audi Assured warranty last month. In the last year I’ve had the following repairs made:

-new Haldex
-new Timing belt & water pump
-transmission cable repair performed
-new battery
-repair to climate control system to eliminate whirring noise

A couple years earlier, at around 45-50k miles, I had the turbos replaced.

The only ongoing issue I’ve had with my TT are the automatic windows. Periodically they won’t seal as tightly as I would like, allowing some road noise in. Also they’ll behave erratically, going part way up only to go down, etc. Weirdest (and thankfully rarest) of all, I have on occasion returned to my TT to find one of the windows rolled down about an inch. Lately (last 12 months) I haven’t had any problems, but based on history my suspicion is that it’s only a matter of time before another problem strikes.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: My '01 TT is coming up on 95K miles. Time to sell?

i just crossed a 100k and have no worries. I think your mech is overreacting.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:07 PM
3rd Gear

I hope they didn't charge you to replace more than one turbo...

Otherwise, I would like to hear a little feedback on this also.
I'm about to hit 60k on my 2003.

The only thing i've heard so far is timing belt / tensioner / water pump.

At under 100k miles i'd just stick it out, and if you're really worried, just keep a closer watch on maintenance items.

Does anything else start to become a concern after the 100k mark?

Old 04-30-2007, 11:26 PM
5th Gear

I'm at 112,000, car has a few issues from the previous owners neglect, but otherwise mechanically sound, and running strong.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:39 PM
cmh

110k and no major issues other than routine maintenance, brakes/tires/fluids etc. Previous owner was original purchaser and took good care of it, depends on the cars history when it starts to "fall apart", not necessarily a predetermined mileage point.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:47 PM
I'm make believe

^ that about sums it up.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:58 PM
1st Gear

Strange for a mechanic to say this and cut his own future money. I would be suprised if the TT started to fall apart just due to having 100k miles. That's not really a lot for any modern car. Weird.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:32 AM
1st Gear

You got your money's worth out of the Audi warrany; congrats! Any idea what they did about the climate control whirring noise? I think I've got something like that going on.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:54 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Dana Reed

You got your money's worth out of the Audi warrany; congrats! Any idea what they did about the climate control whirring noise? I think I've got something like that going on.
Thanks. Yeah, I made out well, especially with both the Timing BeltANDthe Haldex Quattro repair (apparently the third most expensive repair that can be made tothe car after the transmission & engine) cominginside 2 months prior to expiration!.

I was initially surprised that both Aaron and Randy at Advanced Audi in SF strongly encouraged me to ditch it at 95k (part of the reason they suggest it also has to do with lower resale value after 100k miles). Having said that I love these guys andhave always felt they've been straight with me, and I'm not alone:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/h9eV4YgpLsgD8q9xQbyixA

My bottom line is this: I love my TT and I've taken really good care of it with service, VPower gas, etc. But if I'm going to have to drop several $K/year on repairs I would much rather put that money into a brand new '08 TT.

Really appreciate the input so far, and I would love to hear from others who have wrestled with this question.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:57 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Dana Reed

Any idea what they did about the climate control whirring noise?
I'd need to check on it. But whatever they initiailly did did not solve the problem and led to the replacment ofthe timing belt/tensioner/water pump. It's only been a month, but so far no whirring from the climate control.

Quick Reply: My '01 TT is coming up on 95K miles. Time to sell?