Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Moving to Cali...

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 11:21 AM
1st Gear
Default Moving to Cali...

Need help deciding whether to drive or ship my car from Maryland. I'm curious to know if any of you have ever shipped your rides, and what carrier did you use? Companies and numbers, please. I may end up driving but I'm a little concerned about the added mileage and wear and tear on my car.

What do you guys think I should do? I'm moving to Orange County, by the way.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:41 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Moving to Cali...

I think that sounds like a nice road trip. You should take the scenic route and hit up the mountains and canyons and everywhere you can. I've made that trip twice (not in my TT) but going through colorado and those states was fun.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:48 AM
cmh

I shipped a car from Florida to NY (Ebay purchase) using DAS auto shippers. I was happy with the service, car arrived on-time and undamaged. I liked that I could track it online to view the progress, and I think it cost about $500, cheaper than a one way plane ticket and gas. I would not want to put the miles on my TT taking it cross country unless it was an extended vacation! I am not a fan of long road trips though.

link:
DAS

Old 02-29-2008, 11:58 AM
2nd Gear

Personally, I like the adventure of long road trips and would take the drive.
Then again, there is always the threat of mechanical problems with the Audi in the middle of nowhere.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:01 PM
1st Gear

i had mine shipped from NY to TX and it got damaged and showed up two weeks late on Christmas Day! DAS payed for the damages though and i got my car, and i only paid $400 to have it shipped to my door

Old 02-29-2008, 12:29 PM
1st Gear

I would drive if not for a bad back and knees, lol. I just may end up doing that anyway, depending on the results of these quotes though. I see that DAS ships motorcycles too. Thanks for the help fellas!

Old 02-29-2008, 12:38 PM

where are you located right now? where is the pickup location??

saw a post on audiworld about a dude that just shipped his TT cross country. i will try to dig up the thread for ya....

Old 02-29-2008, 12:54 PM

here is that link i was talking about- i think this company will pick up from MD?

http://forums.audiworld.com/tt/threa....phtml#1733187

i drove from jersey to austin TX when i moved there a few years back in my e36 BMW, and drove back to jersey too. 2 days, 18 hours each day. it was fun and sort of surreal. definitely a cool experience.

in my old band when we were on tour our drummer ended up getting sick, so we had to cancel the last leg of the tour. we drove 56 hours from LA to NJ in a van full of 10 people. not that fun, but it was still an experience.

best of luck.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:02 PM
1st Gear

not that fun because your drummer got sick or because it was just a long ride(coast to coast)? I've driven to and from TX to Baltimore...that wasn't too bad. Ofcourse I was in my 20's then.

thanks for the link

Old 02-29-2008, 01:21 PM

well the fun part was the scenery and the fact that we just did it all in one straight shot- everyone took turns sleeping/driving.

the "not fun" part was being in a van with 10 smelly band-dudes after already touring for 6 weeks straight from jersey to cali. plus it was in august so the sweltering heat, stink of band dudes, and being confined to a 15-passenger van for so long drove me NUTS.

Quick Reply: Moving to Cali...