Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Marvel Mystery Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 08:26 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Marvel Mystery Oil?

ORIGINAL: WishIWasRWD

I need to do my service soon, i'm doing synthetic oil and i'm planning on using 25% Marvel Mystery Oil.

Does anyone have any experience with Marvel in a TT?

Any product you would use instead?

While i'm asking which synthetic oil should I use? winter is coming, and I'll probably change it again when summer rolls around, so this is somewhat season-specific.
First, oil additives will possibly void a new car warranty. While that may not be your case, it should tell you something. All manufacturers recommend using only oil that meets their specifications. VW/Audi have been very clear as to which oils are approved to be used. If you have Bentley on the CD, the oils are listed and updated when you update your software. If you don't have access to a Bentley, here is a link from Audi: http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/....0004.File.pdf. Here is some additional information from www.audiusa.com.

• Never use any amount of engine oil in the engine that does not conform to Volkswagen Oil Standard 505 01 (5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil).
• Always carry with you an extra quart of engine oil that conforms to Volkswagen Oil Standard 505 01 (5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil) in case you must top off the oil while on the road. Never use any other kind of engine oil in your vehicle, not even to top off the oil level. We have provided you with a quart of the approved oil in the luggage compartment.
• If you use engine oil that does not expressly conform to Volkswagen Oil Standard 505 01 (5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil), very serious and very expensive damage to your vehicle's engine will occur. Your Limited New Vehicle Warranty will not cover engine damage caused by using the wrong engine oil.
• Not all commercially available oils conform to this very rigid Volkswagen oil quality standard, even though they may have the same viscosity.
• Some engine oils which currently meet Volkswagen oil quality standard VW 505 01 are listed in "Engine oils which currently meet Audi Oil Quality Standard VW 505 01"
EDIT: BTW, that quote was for the RS6. You can also use Volkswagen Oil Standard 50200 oil.

Perhaps this should be added to the FAQ so we don't need to keep answering this question.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm make believe

Ive posted it a couple times but there is a really nice web page in abode that has every 502 and 505 approved oil. Just google "502 aprroved oil" and you should find it easy

Old 11-03-2007, 03:34 PM
3rd Gear

Down here I hear alot of good things about Lucas full syn oil, dunno something to check out.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Site Moderator

I wouldn't add Marvel mystery oil as an additive, its awesome to use as an engine flush though. I usually used it on larger motors (V8's) with just marvel oil in it with a new filter, ran it for about an hour and changed it with full synthetic.
Mobil 1 is no longer a full synthetic in the USlike someone else said, In the UK its still full synthetic.