Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

MAF replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 11:55 AM
1st Gear
Default MAF replacement question

This might be a really stupid stupid question but i've been going over my TT while in storage looking things over and changing fluids.
Are the MAF expensive? or hard to replace i've been hearing so many people having problems with them my car has 85K miles on it maybe i should just replace it before it goes out. comments?

Also i filled the tank in my Car like a moron before i put it into storage so the gas will be 3 months old when i use it again. Will this hurt the octane rating much?
hopefully it doesn't.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:33 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: MAF replacement question

they sell afuel stabilizer that people use in boats and for cars in storage. You should be able to find it in a auto parts store and it should keep you gas until spring. Im not sure if the gas tank has a drain on it but if it does i would drain it and us the fuel in the other car and not worry about it going bad.

Mafs are $250 or so, i wouldnt replace it until i have to. Plus if one goes bad you can band-aid it by running it unplugged for a few days week untill you replace it.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:51 PM
3rd Gear

gasoline goes bad in bout 3 months. i put some fuel stabill in it with a 3/4 tank full of gas. you can always just clean the maf and see if that helps

Old 01-17-2007, 03:14 PM
1st Gear

3 months hmmm
last time i drove it was Dec 12th
March1st i was planning on driving it again.
Whats a good brand of fuel stable that won't mess anything up?
I think i used about an 1/8 of a tank of gas before i put it way maybe a bit more then that. my other idea was when i'm ready to use it again to fill up that last 8th of the tank with 110 fuel to up the Octane again.

Someone once told me some brands offuel stablizers will mess up senors and what not. Is this true? I just don't want any problems with the TT when i take it out of the garage this spring.

250. hmmm going to leave that baby alone till it dies.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:32 PM
5th Gear

MAFs will run you anywhere from $100 to $225, depending on which engine code you have, and whether or not you use a remanufactured sensor. You're overpaying if you pay $250 for one. Check esctuning.com

Old 01-18-2007, 12:52 AM

I think its pointless to replace before it goes bad. Mine went to **** a month ago and I pulled it, cleaned it, put it back in and WHAMMO good to go. Thanks again to everyone on this form that helped. It was a good excuse to by a securty torx set too.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:14 AM
4th Gear

Speaking of which I really need to clean mine off - think it has oil build up from my K&N filter...

Old 01-18-2007, 01:18 AM
I'm make believe

thats why you buy the oil free ones.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:41 AM
1st Gear

Anyone have a Picture of the MAF? or where it is?
My shop manual is stll on order i wanted to check and see if it could use cleaning.
Thanks.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:48 AM

It is to the left of your airbox.

Quick Reply: MAF replacement question