Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

lowering spring diy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 10:49 AM
2nd Gear
Default lowering spring diy?

I'm going to install some lowering springs with the new rims I just bought, but can't find a diy anywhere. Before you guys flame me on not doing the springs and shocks together, i'm going to but just don't have the cash right now. Anyone know of diy to do the springs?

Thanks to all!

Old 10-27-2007, 12:01 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: lowering spring diy?

Hold off on the install until you get some new shocks/struts.
You'll just be doing the same job twice... Unless you have a real reason to do it now (like snapped spring) I'd hold off.

How much will these new springs drop you? Might want to consider a rear Kmac full/half kit.
You will need an alignment once all said and done. Why pay for 2 alignments? Just wait until you have all the parts... no shame in that.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:13 PM
2nd Gear

Lol Becca, i'm impatient. I bought some new rims and want to do everything at once, but want to get out as cheaply as possible. I was looking at the kmac kits actually. Is that something that I could do myself?

The springs I went with a mild drop of 1.25 inches. From what i've read I could probably get away with the half kit if I need it at all. Knowing my luck I probably will.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:40 PM
4th Gear

Do the wheels for now. Save the all of the suspension work for a weekend.
Do you have access to a lift? Or are you going to be working on the ground?
I'm spoiled and grew up with a full garage, complete with power tools and lift.
If I had all of my parts this would of only taken me a weekend...
1.25" I'd go with a full kit, but that's just me.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:37 PM
2nd Gear

Wouldn't the 18's look like a 4x4 on the TT? That's kinda why I want to do everything at once. But I will bow to experience, if you saythat's what I should dothen that's how I will do it. Don't you have 18's Becca?

Old 10-27-2007, 04:01 PM
4th Gear

I do have 18's. It'll just make it easier on yourself if you wait until you have all of the parts on hand.
Yes the 18's will excentuate wheel gap, but so what? It's not like you're leaving it that way.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:10 PM
SoCal Crew Member

i had 18"s. with stock ride height. yes, everyday the wheel gap was bugging me.

so i just dropped it on H&R springs. no shocks. no kmac kits.

just springs.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:27 AM
2nd Gear

H&R Springs have a 1.2-1.3" drop right? Did you have a camber problem? I remember on my bimmer that Ionly put spacers on my car and I had a camber problem, didn't take long for the tires to wear bad actually. That's something that I reaaly want to avoid!

Old 10-28-2007, 01:07 AM
2nd Gear

This is why you should hold off on wheels till you do susp but with how dreadful I think fat-fives look, I don't blame you.

But dude, it's going to cost you money/performance to just get springs. Stock shocks aren't meant to sit as low as they will...your handling will suffer. And you'll wear out your stock shocks quicker, so you'll be forking out for those shocks pretty quick.

Oh and do you know that most tire shops can't align your car because Audi has some kind of gay steering position sensor they have to calibrate? Yep, that means you'll be wheelin' it to the stealership. $150 for alignment if my memory serves. Maybe it was $80 for alignment plus whatever they charged for mounting my tires...I don't remember I just remember it was ridiculous.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:23 AM
2nd Gear

I agree, I hate the fat 5's. They're horrible.The stock shocks i'm not going to worry about right now cause I will probably get some different ones when I need them. If they wear out in 6 months then I will get some sport shocks in 6 months. I just can't afford to buy everything at once.
Haha, my handling will suffer, lol.I live in Dallas where there are nothing but straight roads. The fun I get to have in my TT consists of going around the transistion ramps from one highway to another, maybe even a loop if i'm lucky...Then it's more straight roads with cops all over them.[:@]
It all really depends on how the 18's look with the stock suspension. I'm still trying to decide on tirebrandsand sizes. I'm thinking I might go with 215/35/r18, but I know ride quality will suffer with the lower height.

I'll inquire about the alignment. That just sounds silly... :-)

Quick Reply: lowering spring diy?