Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

LiquidTT group buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:03 PM
2nd Gear

^^^ But why should I have to do that? At night that dim light is going to draw people. I park in a busy city, one hour of light is going to draw A LOT of people to a car that already draws a lot of people. There is an easy fix for this, as I have already said.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:14 PM
4th Gear

well try it out and let us know how it goes... hope it works man, good luck

Old 08-28-2008, 11:51 PM
2nd Gear

you dont have to wait 1 hour. You hold the thing up and it shuts off. I have done it a few times already. It really isnt that big of a deal i dont understand what the fuss is about. when you turn your car back on you push the little button and it turns back on... is it that big of a hassle? it is no different then having to roll your windows up before you get out of your car... It takes 2 seconds.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:54 PM
4th Gear

im with ya slow... i mean, in the morning when you start your car you supposed to let it warm up anyway, so fiddle around then... otherwise youll just sit there or make the bad choice of driving right away and slowly doing damage

Old 08-29-2008, 03:56 AM
1st Gear

Guys, please read the manual before flaming, and be aware that this is no ordinary product, is has been designed by me, a TT enthusiast, and you, the TT community get to drive its development.

So as has been said, it can easily be turned on and off without the need to enter the password. Auto screen diming after an hour of inactivity was added in version 1.02.
I could easily change this to go into standby instead, if I get feedback that that is preferred then I could add that in the next revision. Also if you want a shorter timeout I could change that also.

The power consumption in its various modes are ~ 60mA in run mode,
With the backlight off it goes down to ~ 45mA,
When in standby it is ~ 8mA.

To put this into perspective, the car battery capacity is 62 Amp hours, which equates to

battery life in days for run mode = 62/0.06/24 = 43 days

battery life in days for standby mode = 62/0.008/24 = 323 days

Of course there are lots of other loads on the battery all the time but this is by far, not the most significant.

If there are any other suggestions feed them into Mike and I will get them added to the "To do list".

Cheers
Jim

Old 08-29-2008, 07:57 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by myslow1

as for reading the user manual... i didnt get one

thanks again
There were links to all the manual on the "READ THIS FIRST" sheet included in the box. The manual is available electronically only.

I confess, I have not read the manual ; )

Old 08-29-2008, 08:06 AM
1st Gear

Jake,

I truly don't understand what you find so "offensive", especially with the realization that you can go in to standby mode with a 2-second button press. I find you stating that this is "dumb code" and "totally unacceptable" to be way out of line - I am involved in the design and manufacture of medical and consumer products, and this type of code is VERY common in industry. As stated by Jim, this product has been designed with significant input from the TT community. It is still in development, and new functions and options are being added at a regular basis. Calling the code "dumb" does nothing but inflame the situation. If you have some ideas you would like to share that you think would improve the operation of the unit, you are free to send them to me or post them here, and they will be considered. I can say now that removal of the code or adding a jumper to bypass it will not "make it" to the unit - again, this is a common industry practice (like on your OEM radio), and is an attempt to thwart theft of the unit. In normal operation, you only need to enter the code when you first plug the unit in. After that, the OBD port continues to supply power to the unit (as it does to ALL THE OTHER systems that are integrated with the OBD port! NOT just the liquidTT...) - this is a function/specification of the OBD protocol, which was used by Jim in the development of the product.

If you are SO dissatisfied with the unit, you are welcome to return it for a full refund, as long as it is still in working order.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:37 AM
2nd Gear

Sorry for all my pissed off drunken posts last night. I'll try it for a while. Here is an idea though: Have the liquid tt sence the difference in voltage from when the car is running and when it's off. This way you could automatically turn it on/off. This could be an option in the settings.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:18 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jakej
Sorry for all my pissed off drunken posts last night. I'll try it for a while. Here is an idea though: Have the liquid tt sence the difference in voltage from when the car is running and when it's off. This way you could automatically turn it on/off. This could be an option in the settings.
I was thinking something along the same lines, using a "heartbeat" (could be the MAF flow, RPM, voltage, bunch of things) to determine the car is in use. After a certain time with no heartbeat, the unit could dim (or go to standby, which I didn't know it had). Heartbeat could be every minute, 5 minutes, user defined minutes, who knows... Right now, I think the backlight goes off after 1-hour even if you are using the car but haven't touched the gauge.

This is exactly the type of development that can be made on an ongoing basis with feedback from the user base. Jim and I welcome your constructive feedback and do listen to the user base. Jim is on the 6th version of code in only a few months of release, he has been VERY responsive to input and suggestions.

Last edited by MCPaudiTT; 08-29-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:40 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MCPaudiTT
I was thinking something along the same lines, using a "heartbeat" (could be the MAF flow, RPM, voltage, bunch of things) to determine the car is in use. After a certain time with no heartbeat, the unit could dim (or go to standby, which I didn't know it had). Heartbeat could be every minute, 5 minutes, user defined minutes, who knows... Right now, I think the backlight goes off after 1-hour even if you are using the car but haven't touched the gauge.

This is exactly the type of development that can be made on an ongoing basis with feedback from the user base. Jim and I welcome your constructive feedback and do listen to the user base. Jim is on the 6th version of code in only a few months of release, he has been VERY responsive to input and suggestions.
That would be perfect! Thanks.

Quick Reply: LiquidTT group buy