Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

LiquidTT group buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 08:14 PM
2nd Gear

I think the safe code is dumb, because without it: you could easily have the unit turn on/off with the key. Either via a 10 cent transistor or $2 relay. This would not only save the screen, but draw less attention to the car in general. If someone is going to break into my car, I could care less about this thing. My rader dector alone is twice as expensive.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:57 PM
2nd Gear

ok well i plugged it in real quick to test it and put in the code... question

why is it that when it gets plugged in my cd player turns on??? so can i not have this thing plugged in when im not in my car? I imagine my bat would die... If that is normal it is kind of gay, i planned on using this as a boost gauge for daily use so i would have to unplug it and plug it in everytime i get in/out of my car and when i plug it in i'd have to put my code in.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:07 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by myslow1
ok well i plugged it in real quick to test it and put in the code... question

why is it that when it gets plugged in my cd player turns on??? so can i not have this thing plugged in when im not in my car? I imagine my bat would die... If that is normal it is kind of gay, i planned on using this as a boost gauge for daily use so i would have to unplug it and plug it in everytime i get in/out of my car and when i plug it in i'd have to put my code in.
I have NOT heard of this before, and will get a note off to Jim at Race Diagnostics right away. You have tried this more than once? There should be NO issue with leaving it plugged in, and agreed, if you need to unplug it, it defeats much of the purpose. Either I will post back here, or Jim will. Thanks for the feedback.

Have you tried manually turning off the CD after it comes on?

I assume it does not come on when you plug in a VAGCOM cable (uses the same 4 pins as the liquidTT)?

Last edited by MCPaudiTT; 08-28-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:09 PM
2nd Gear

ok i will check back. Im going to go try one more time and see what it does lol.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:32 PM
2nd Gear

Last edited by jakej; 08-29-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:50 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by jakej
This is exactly what I've been saying....
Why the hell is this thing on all the time? God damn. If you got rid of the code at least I could rig my own stuff up to switch this gauge on with my car. Right now, it's using my car battery, attracting attention with the bright light and destroying the screen. How retarded Is this!?!?!
oh yours turns on when plugged in as well?
I figured there was either an issue with the unit or i have an electrical issue somewhere in my car. Im going to get it all set up and run the cable but the only way to turn it off is by unplugging it. I cant even turn mine off...

Old 08-28-2008, 09:59 PM
2nd Gear

Last edited by jakej; 08-29-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:10 PM
4th Gear

you guys got me all nervous now...

heres a though, go to a friggin store, buy a switch, cut the wire that powers the unit, hook it up to a switch and vua la... you have an on/off switch...

just quit rippin on MCP haha and calling **** dumb... he set us up with a good deal.

seriously though, try getting a switch

Old 08-28-2008, 10:12 PM
1st Gear

It is correct, the unit never really does turn off. Even when the light turns "off", the screen is still on - it is just the LED backlighting of the unit that goes off. The screen is rated to be left on, and the LED backlighting is also rated for the hours it is used. In the initial programming of the modules, the backlighting never turned off at all, the 1-hour timeout was added in a later revision. One reason for this is that the OBDII port is also always "on" - there is no cycling of the power on the OBD port itself. The current draw of the unit is very low, even with the LED backlighting on.

I disagree that it is "dumb", but please be patient, as I am certain Jim will address your questions and comments. I am sure your feedback and comments will be used for further development of the software and options available on the device.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:13 PM
2nd Gear

im not calling anything dumb i am just concerned.
and there is an "off" he shuts his off in the video on their website.

Quick Reply: LiquidTT group buy