Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Lightened flywheel better??????

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Lightened flywheel better??????

OK so here is another question i would like to throw out there. I have heard that turbo cars do better with a heavier flywheel because the turbo likes the load, Advetisers do claim better performance and gains with a lighter wheel also. So my question is, which is better? or maybe too light is not good and maybe changing from the DUAL MASS to a SINGLE MASS is better? Anyone done any of these mods? feedback anyone?

Old 03-11-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm make believe

The lighter it is, them easier it is for the engine to rev. However, the heavier it is, the easier it is to drive in lower rpms. If you stay with a steel lwfw in the teens, you will be happy. Lighter aluminum ones chatter like crazy and take more effort to get moving from a roll.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:36 PM
2nd Gear

I have a eurospec clutch (Lightweight cast flywheel, dual diaphragm cover, 228mm performance disc) chatters like a mother at idle...

Old 03-11-2009, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by cincyTT
The lighter it is, them easier it is for the engine to rev. However, the heavier it is, the easier it is to drive in lower rpms. If you stay with a steel lwfw in the teens, you will be happy. Lighter aluminum ones chatter like crazy and take more effort to get moving from a roll.
Curious... If the lighter it is, the easier it is for the engine to rev, makes sense... lower rotational moment of inertia. But then you say a lighter aluminum one takes more effort to get moving. Can you explain

And whats chatter? Just noise from it vibrating?

Old 03-11-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm make believe

You need to give it more gas to get the car to start moving with a lighter fw. Takes some getting used to. Chatter is just that, noise. If you increase the revs 100-250rpms at idle, it will go away

Old 03-11-2009, 09:04 PM
5th Gear

its the rotational inertia thing again. Its much easier to stop a light weight spinning wheel than it is a heavy one. The problem with getting the car rolling, is that once the clutch starts to grab, it can stop the lightweight spinning mass, and stall the car.

The stock, and very heavy duel mass flywheel carries enough inertia that you can get the car moving (even on a slight incline) without touching the gas. No chance of doing that with a lightweight.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:14 PM
1st Gear

This past weekend I installed a ofe series southbend clutch with the 19 pound lighter weight flywheel...After wearing it in there is chatter at idle...is it annoying yes and is there a fix, from what i'm told yes by southbend. Cincy maybe you know for sure. The guy i talked to said to drain the tranny oil and put in redline 75w90 but make sure it is made for the front dif. It has an additive that helps with the chatter...but then i was thinking about it. I never really sit at idle.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:26 PM
1st Gear

My brother did a lightweight flywhhel kit for his car and they told him the same thing about the oil, maybe some truth to it?

Old 03-22-2009, 10:14 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ericcota2003
This past weekend I installed a ofe series southbend clutch with the 19 pound lighter weight flywheel...After wearing it in there is chatter at idle...is it annoying yes and is there a fix, from what i'm told yes by southbend. Cincy maybe you know for sure. The guy i talked to said to drain the tranny oil and put in redline 75w90 but make sure it is made for the front dif. It has an additive that helps with the chatter...but then i was thinking about it. I never really sit at idle.

I wouldn't do that. You can swap out all the fluids for better but, the only thing that's going to quiet the chatter is idle increase. I'm running MT-90 in my tranny & I didn't notice a sound difference.