Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

"It's just a little scratch"

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:06 PM
1st Gear
Default "It's just a little scratch"

So my brother ran into my car last weekend just below the right tail light. Its more of a "scrape" rather than a hit, but the bumper is definitely not right. At first i thought it would only need to be repainted but after i looked at it during the day the bumper is distorted (i think its cracked beyond repair).

Do any of you guys know the estimate of replacing + painting a bumper? And i figured since i need to get a new bumper anyways, I might get a different one but I'm not sure what would look good on my stock car so if you have any advice on that front that would help as well.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:12 PM
4th Gear

depends... itll be hard to match the paint i think when you repaint it

Old 09-15-2008, 09:04 PM
1st Gear

i had my bumper and the rear end repainted and it looks totally factory. no more stone chips

i have a silver tt tho.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:56 PM

Its rather spendy. I went to school for auto body... If your car isn't black they will have to blend into the back end of your car... And clear coat your 2 quarter panels and all of the roof... With clear you need a hard body line to stop... Depending on the price of the bumper cover.. Just the painting I'd have to say 1500 - 2000. Just for a body shop to paint it right ...

Old 09-15-2008, 11:05 PM
1st Gear

Before I had to bring my saturn back for lease expirey I took it to a local place called "dent wizard" . I had smacked the chin spoiler off a curb several years before and had 2 major sized cracks in (about 3 inches long each, around a place that was fairly "Advanced" as far as body lines).

Anyways, for 500$ Canadian they "plastic welded" the cracks and painted the entire front bumper. It looked incredible afterwords. I couldent tell the difference, the lines were great.. and the paint looked A1, matched perfectly, and it was a nice metalic blue colour.

I am not to sure how well it Held together as I returned it several weeks later..

You might want to look for a place local to you similar to that..

Old 09-15-2008, 11:34 PM

Plastic welding will re-crack... More so do to bumps..weather... Yeah if your getting ride of it find something like what hockey did.. But if your keeping your car for a year or more I'd get it done right ALSO depending on how bad the crack is they may not be able to weld it...and maybe get a sweet looking bumper cover ANOTHER THING you may want to look into is .. Go to a body shop. Show em what u have going on. Some time they can cut a square out.. (So all ur cracks are gone) then they take a good peace of bumper plastic (from another bumper) the same size and whatknot and glue it in.trust me.. Its strong glue.. And then paint it... That way they can maybe just blend ur bumper.you could save a lot of money this way. ( This way is a thousand times stronger than welding plastic.. )

Old 09-16-2008, 01:51 AM
1st Gear

yeah unfortunately my car is silver (sorry, forgot to mention). I guess i'll go talk to some body shops and see what they have to say. Anyone know the price for a new rear bumper (not including paint)?

Old 09-16-2008, 10:11 AM

Getting a new bumper from the stealership will be spendy. Like $1300 or so?? I'd maybe check out a salvage yard .and if you go for aftermarket the cheaper it is the harder it will fit. Some just don't work at all and your stuck with it.. . 1999-2005 will fit . Really any way u do it its going to be extensive.. People always overlook how $$$$ body work is .

Old 09-16-2008, 04:34 PM
1st Gear

sadly i was expecting a very expensive fix.. oh well, i guess i'll just have to get it fixed later then i wanted to

Old 09-17-2008, 02:25 PM
1st Gear

Stragically placed sticker or badge. Vtec perhaps?