Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Issues after timing belt job...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 11:27 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Issues after timing belt job...

i'm telling you man it may not be the clutch slipping but could be what mine was doing....the dual mass flywheel is made from two pieces and after time they can seperate a little and cause this "loss of power feel" get it replaced to a billet steel FW like from Spec and you will notice a big difference....plus boost will onset quicker and should be less wear on the engine. (frees up rotating mass)

Old 03-06-2007, 12:23 AM
2nd Gear

good point, I always forget that these cars have that dualmass FW

Old 03-06-2007, 12:42 PM
3rd Gear

Let us know what the "stealership" says I am really interested???

Old 03-11-2007, 08:11 PM
2nd Gear

Ok so I took it to the stealership on friday, they looked it over, checked it out for a good 2 hours, they found nothing... I took the tech with me on a test drive and we couldn't get the car to do anything, it drove flawless. So they basically told me they cant fix what they can't see... so I left rather dissapointed.

Now fast foward a little bit to today, I washed the car and took it out for some pics, on my way home the car makes the popping noise but this time it does it rappidly and the CEL finally comes on. So I knew I caught the car red handed ... took it to advance auto and had the codes ran, they came back as multiple cylinder misfire detected in number 3 and 4... so I assume this is the problem that has been so hard to figure out... So, lets go from here. coilpacks or plugs? anything else it could be?

Old 03-11-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm make believe

change and gap the plugs. also change the coil packs from 3 & 4 with the 1 & 2. If you get the codes for miss fires in 1 & 2 you have bad coils. Plus new plugs are always nice. ngkbkr's are< $2 a plug.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:13 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks cincy, I'll do that... I did just change the plugs a little over 1k miles ago to BKR7E's

I talked to a friend of mine today after this happened and he thinks the coils and plugs are fine and since all this started happening right after the dealer did the major TB service he thinks that they didn't do something right like the thermostat or possibly something else and somehowitscausing detenation.

I guess its hard to say... let me go swap the coils and plugs and I'll give a update later this evening... once again, thanks everyone who is helping me solve this problem

Old 03-12-2007, 01:39 AM
2nd Gear

*update* I changed the plugs with fresh BKR7E's and swappedcoil packs1&2 with 3&4 got everything back together and drove it tomy friends house to scan it, on the way over the car drove flawless, no misfires, no twitchy feeling at high boost and no sluggish feel. I got there and scanned it, no new codes were found just the same 3&4 misfire from earlier today... we cleared that and I went back home, the car still drove great with no problems or CEL.

I don't know, maybe it was the plugs... I'm not going to hold my breath, knowing this car its got something else up its sleeve. We'll see what happens within the next few days...