Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Issues after timing belt job...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 10:11 PM
2nd Gear
Default Issues after timing belt job...

Ok so the dealer did my TB service the other day, everything seemed fine but as I got closer to home I decided to boost the car a bit and noticed that if I boosted 12lbs or more and shifted over 3K the DV was making a very strange noise, and to be honest with you it sounds identical to the noise from this one in a original quattrohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArPgSDVWFsU

What could be wrong? I don't see how this could be related to a TB service
BTW: my DV is a hyperboost HX and been on the car about 8K miles

and now,things are getting worse, today I noticed the temp gauge was not working at all. when I turned on the key it calibrated and went to the first mark as usual but after driving it a while the gauge had not moved.
I dont think its the cluster going bad because as I said it still calibrated as usual but its like its just not picking up a temp... so I would think that the dealer facked up the install of the thermostat considering it was replaced along with the TB.

Where is the thermostat located? would I be able to tell if something was wrong with it if I could take it out? If I could find someone with a vag-com would that be able to tel me anything?

Thanks guys

Old 02-25-2007, 11:22 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Issues after timing belt job...

that sounds like a supra with a HKS SS BOV lol....ok now back to the subject at hand when you say you boosted the car are you saying your raised the boost or you just drove the car into boost? dont know much about the hyperboost valves but i;m sure that it can handle around 15 psi without the need of a shim. but you might want to find that out to be sure... and about the thermostat its directly under the intake manifold in a black plastic housing going into the block. the only way to test it is to put the stat in a pot of boiling water and note the temp at which it opens this will tell you if its bad or not. i think it should open somewhere around 189 degrees (87 celsius)

Old 02-26-2007, 12:24 AM
2nd Gear

I just meant that I drove the car a little harder and further into boost. I would hope the hyperboost DV's can handle well over 15psi as I have had it on the car for about 8K miles with my car at a max of 23psi (APR software)... It just seems weird that it started that after the dealer had worked on it.

Thanks for the info about the thermostat

Old 02-26-2007, 01:25 AM
Site Moderator

Well working for a dealer i can tell you that tt instrument clusters are pieces of crap. Ive replaced countless tt clusters for problems with gauges. I even had a customer say that after hitting a deer his fuel gauge was off, his rpm gauge was off, the mph gauge. It was still his cluster, no matter how much the guy tried to convince me it just started happening after he hit the stupid deer.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:31 AM
2nd Gear

ouch, if its the cluster I'm just going to have to let it go I guess.... after blowing all that money on the timing belt, and buying new tires I'm broke for a while [:@]

Old 02-26-2007, 01:39 AM
2nd Gear

You might want to give BBA-REMAN a shot at it. They can fix many cluster problems for $250, and if they can't fix it, they will not charge you. Can't beat that considering Audi want's nearly $1000 to replace one. You might also want to try sending a letter to AoA regarding the cluster failure. There have been several people who have been successful in getting them to cover some or all of the repair.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:51 AM
Site Moderator

Yeah thats true, i replace them all the time for half off, lol. Not that i like to by the way.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:34 PM
2nd Gear

cool, thanks

Old 02-28-2007, 09:42 PM
2nd Gear

GRRR!![:@]I just dont get it, the car is just not right, twice the car has lost all power in 4th gear and would not hit any boost... I pull over to check the hoses and all but it seems fine, drive off and no problem.
Its so slow yet I can still hit 23psi so I wouldn't think it was a boost leak... could it be?

When I'm not at WOT the diverter valve is so quiet, I can hardly hear it and when I am at WOT it makes that hickup noise [:@]

I really wish I could get this figured out and fixed... this car is getting to be too much of a money pit, being a student with a part time job i just can't handle it if this stuff continues... and as much as I hate to say it, that dark silver RX-8 for sale down the street is looking pretty tempting

Old 02-28-2007, 11:39 PM
3rd Gear

that rx8 is very slow compared to the TT trust me keep your baby A mazda is no Audi i totally understand where you are coming from i've been there myself....i had to spend 1400 to get my head rebuilt(better than 5500, but still) and i'm totally dumb for not upgrading the internals at the time but didnt have any extra money after that...and didnt know of any good places to get better valves, springs, etc etc i wish i would have taken out a loan or something and got that sucker BEEF CAKED instead of OEM....oh well...the head should last me till i hit 350whp i assume.

Quick Reply: Issues after timing belt job...