Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Intermittent Brake Groan When in Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 09:21 PM
Default Intermittent Brake Groan When in Reverse

I have 6-cylinder 2006 TT Roadster with less than 8,000 miles. It's in (almost - read on) perfect condition, no accidents and well cared-for. It's my second TT. About a month ago, it began making an annoying "groan" when applying the brakes while rolling back in reverse. The noise has gotten louder and more frequent but remains maddeningly intermittent. And therein lies my problem: The dealer has had the car since yesterday (this is the second time) but doesn't hear the noise. Yet when it's at my home, the noise is dramatic and loud each morning as soon as I begin backing out of the garage and apply the brake. It continues to occur as the day progresses - each time I begin backing up and apply the brake pedal. But it refuses to do so when at the dealership. I even recorded the phenomenon and played it for the dealer mechanics. They've checked the brakes, pads, etc. but discovered nothing amiss. I just received a call from the service manager that they'll keep it overnight and try again tomorrow. Chances are, it seems, that they'll hear nothing but I guarantee that as soon as I get it home, park it overnight, then start out in the morning, it again will produce a "groan" that is so loud, my wife can hear it inside the house. It turns heads in the mall! (I thought for a while that it might have something to do with the steering and haven't ruled that out. But it absolutely occurs as soon as I hit the breakes - in reverse - even if I haven't turned the wheel.) Has anyone encountered this and, if so, can your offer guidance?

Old 11-22-2006, 01:26 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Intermittent Brake Groan When in Reverse

Do you park with your parking brake set?

Old 11-22-2006, 02:38 AM

Yes, I do set the parking brake and did so with the previous TT, as well.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:51 AM
2nd Gear

It may be that the parking brake is not releasing completely when you push the button and lower the lever. If this only happens when you back up when the parking brake has been set that would be my guess as to the culprit.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

It happens to me as well and I never use my parking brake except when on an incline. Mine, however, seems to occur mainly when I brake going in reverse down an incline (my driveway for example but my garage is flat so I still don't use the e-brake). If you figure it out let us know!

Old 11-22-2006, 03:41 PM

I've passed along to the service manager the parking break tip but I don't think that's going to solve this. I fully release the hand brake anytime I use it and there's absolutely no resistence once I'm moving. I haven't heard from Audi today - they kept the TT again overnight - but I will report developments to this thread. As I emailed one contributor, I'm baffled as to why this happens to me virtually every morning, yet the mechanic who took my car home reported no noise at all. In fairness, Audi has checked out many brake-related parts of the car but finds nothing amiss. I'm discouraged. And while I have a recording of the phenomenon, it still seems it can't be reproduced at the dealer. There is nothing odd about my garage or driveway, the latter being flat. Like the last poster, it ONLY happens when I'm in reverse and slowing rolling backward. Every time I apply the brake, the loud and rather sharp groan bellows from, I believe, from under the rear. It is not a subtle sound. It can be heard through the door to the kitchen and into the house - as my wife attests!