Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Intercooler Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:24 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Intercooler Questions

I'm gonna wait and see how effective the intercooler fogger andmeth/water injection is before I decide what to do about the plumbing of the system.

I want to keep it as short as possible between the turbo and the TB, so If I do go to a front mount Ill probably swap to the 225 intake manifold orientaion first. I think that might keep the run shorter and reduce any cutting necessary to fit everything.

I think the combination I'm running will be enough to tame the k03 even at the peak of its limits so a FMIC isnt really on the to-do list until I'm closer to a turbo upgrade. I'm definitely going the DIY method though no matter what I do. I've got a good welder willing to do whatever Idesign basically for fun (materials and beer). My whole Intake and exhuast system are going to be custom.

In the time my car has been down (blown waterpump) I've learned alot of good ideas on how to make gobs of power without spending alot of money. It helps to have a good inventory of parts laying around, friends with parts laying around, and alot of gearhead buddies though. My nitrous kit I had before I bought the TT.The Meth kit and MBC were freebies. I've got VAG equipment at work. So basically for the cost of a chip tune a diode, and an old laptop (lemmiwinks and datalogging) I'll be able to max out the K03S. Which leaves alot of budget laying around for BT toys. I'm thinking around $1000after the T-belt and waterpump before Im putting 20-30hp more to the wheels then the 225 makes at the flywheel, but we will see. Which is why paying $1000 for the IC alone doesnt seem cost effective.

You could rpobably get a Spearco core and pay a shop to fab plumbing for a few hundred less at most.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:23 AM
I'm make believe

a intercooler like the apr or evoms intercooler will be a easier install and have less piping (on a 180). But in your case the water/meth with a single sidemount will lower ait's than just a uprgaded intercooler (both would still be better). But you can use your stock piping and a virtical flow intercooler and have it all done for a few hundred dollars.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:44 AM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: DenimTT
I want to keep it as short as possible between the turbo and the TB, so If I do go to a front mount Ill probably swap to the 225 intake manifold orientaion first. I think that might keep the run shorter and reduce any cutting necessary to fit everything.
you can always go air to water intercooler