Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Intercooler Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 04:52 AM
Default Intercooler Questions

Hey everyone!
--I'm thinking of doing and intercooler upgrade and was curious if you could just plug right into the existing system and not remove the two smaller intercoolers? I have a diagram below of the TT engine and in theory it would work, but how about actually?

What do you think? Could I just tap right into the existing system?

Old 01-01-2007, 05:14 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Intercooler Questions

If you mean adding a 3rd intercooler, it wouldnt help efficiecy wise. You would be effectively creating more lag and pressure drop across yet another core which would offset any cooling gains you might get,

There are other options though.

1. Replace stock sidemount cores with more efficient aluminum aftermarket pieces.
2. Move to a single large front mount IC to increase airflow and reduce plumbing.
3 Add a nitrous or CO2 fogger system to boost efficiency (possible to exceed 100% rates this way)
4. Add Methanol/Water injectionto cool the charge and increase timing.

Personally I am using methods 3 and 4 right now, and eventually will include option 2 as well. The goal is the shortest possible plumbing route, with the least pressure drop across the core and maximum cooling effect. Thats how you build a proper IC system.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:03 AM
2nd Gear

anybody know where i can read up on fogger systems and alchahol injection? still a bit foggy... no punn intended

Old 01-01-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm make believe

steve from modshack always has great info and install pics on his website. http://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/in...nics_intellig/
he uses water to cool his intercooler and uses his headlight washers to supply water/ww fluid to cool the intercooler.

water/meth injection cools temps in the intake charge and gives better gains than cooling the intercooler. It adds timing that has been pulled and allows you to run more psi also. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2871779

Old 01-03-2007, 10:44 PM
3rd Gear

who actually has the APR FMIC??

Old 01-03-2007, 11:05 PM
1st Gear

Alot of people on VWVortex use the APR.

Im going the $150 DIY method, I dont see any good reason to pay $1000 for an intercooler. Buy the core on ebay and fab your own plumbing. You can still polish everything and make it look nice if you want.

I did see the APR setup on an A4 at work the first week or so I was there. Looked nice, but his car ran like crap. Not that it was APR's fault, just alot of stuff that wasnt doing a whole lot of good on working in unison.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:43 AM
2nd Gear

I have the APR FMIC and it works great. I have the 180 and had put a bigger turbo in and almost burnt the engine up before the FMIC. I wasnt a firm believer than some metal could cool that good but I touched the intake pipe and the exit pipe and there was a huge difference in the temp. And it being up front and gets air directly on it that does even better.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:55 PM
1st Gear

I have a nice FMIC I was going to install on my Eclipse it's a JDM brand i think it's 26 wide and 6 inches tall but I was reading above and i would almost rather just replace the side ones with better SMIC's VS all the modding needed to FM.

How often do you guys check the tightness of your boost lines? I've never done it and guessing mine have never been done I wonder if over time they will losen and start boost leaking. I haven't felt a performance drop. Guess this is one of those buy a boost gauage then worry about replacing boost lines.
I also agree with the Ebay DIY method i have a whole box of 2.5 inch intercooler lines and boost and clamps and an intercooler stated aboveif anyone is interested i'll sell them dirt cheap.
I am just wanting to replace the side mounts with better ones.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:23 PM

hey denim if you can build your own intercooler i think you would be better off buying a spearco or precision from somewhere and doing it that way. i used the ebay intercooler before and there is a large pressure drop. the spearco core is about 400 bucks so its not too expensive the precision is a little bit cheaper.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm make believe

the 350 core from precision is a little over $300. I hate to say it but some evo guys use the xs power intercooler on their cars and swear their great. You can also get a good ebay intercooler cheap but it may be hit or miss on the core. If you go that route i would find a dealer that others recommend not just chose randomly.

Quick Reply: Intercooler Questions