Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Installing grille without removing bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 05:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Installing grille without removing bumper

Anyone have any recommendations, or how to's?

Old 08-20-2008, 06:01 PM
1st Gear

noone?

Old 08-20-2008, 06:49 PM
I'm make believe

Will you PLEASE stop posting bumps on a 10min old thread! Not everything you ask will get answered in mins, if it does, you should be so lucky. Please just show some patients, thank you.

Anyways..... All you can really do is remove the covers over the radiator and then the 6 hex bolts below that to losen the top of the bumper. Please take note that just about everyone that has taken this route has broken clips off when removing the stock one. It would be worth it to just take the extra 10-15mins (well 5 when your me and only put the top fender bolts on LOL) to remove the bumper and give you all the space you need. You dont have to remove the wheels, but you will have to jack up the side of the car so you can pull back the wheel well covers.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:55 PM
2nd Gear

It can be removed w/o taking off the bumper. You just need to grip it and quickly jerk outwards. This WILL break some of the tabs on the existing grill but it will allow you to remove. IT can also very well render it useless doing it this way if you choose to reinstall it.

I have removed the bumper a few times, the first when I installled my FMIC. It really isn't that hard. I was lazy when I threw my new grill in and could care less about the stocker (they are only $80 brand new). I did break a few of the tabs but mine could easly be put back in place. The amount of tabs used are overkill. Just unscrew the 2 headlight brackets attached to the grill first before attempting this.

Another trick is to remove the top 6 screws under the front engine cover....the 2 peices along the front that meet near the hood latch. Take those out remove the torx screws, 6 of them and pull out the metal shim. This allows you to lift up the front fascia and if your hands are small enough you can release the tabs from the inside.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:59 PM
4th Gear

just take off the front bumper... much easier this way, and its always a good thing to know how to do...

if not then the way to get it in is already stated

Old 08-21-2008, 03:18 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mobius97
It can be removed w/o taking off the bumper. You just need to grip it and quickly jerk outwards. This WILL break some of the tabs on the existing grill but it will allow you to remove. IT can also very well render it useless doing it this way if you choose to reinstall it.
Did you learn this "trick" during one of those impatient days?

Old 08-21-2008, 09:40 AM
2nd Gear

Yeah you will bust it if you don't take off the bumper :X

Invest in some air tools. Turns full bumper removal into a 5 min job once the car is in the air.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:17 AM
I'm make believe

All i do is jack up one side and pull the whell well cover back enough to get the bolts (well one since i dont put the bottom one back on since its a pita and the top is enough), lower it back down and repeat on the oter side. Removing the tires would make you have to use jackstands and i know some dont have them (even though they are rather cheap)

Old 08-21-2008, 01:17 PM
2nd Gear

i did mine with out removing the bumper. If you dont plan on ever putting the stock one back do it that way. If you do then remove the bumper. As said you will break tabs... I broke quite a few. Nothing on the bumper just on the stock grill, i dont plan on going back to the ring grill though so its ok.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:45 PM
1st Gear

i took it out of the front and didnt break any tabs, i pulled out the top while my friend reached in and un-did the tabs! once they were all done it just came out, i can show you a pic of the stock one to prove it, you just need more than one set of hands, thats all!

Quick Reply: Installing grille without removing bumper