Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

i swear getting chipped is like robbery - why are they so much $?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:42 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: i swear getting chipped is like robbery - why are they so much $?

I sent your 5 Diodes out today USPS so expect mail early next week Thanks

Old 03-07-2008, 12:24 PM

i think the prices on the chips is fair. The investment all the major tuners made isnt cheap. I looked into it myself before hooking up with the unitronics guys. Just between buying the software for remapping and a dyno you are at 110K. The bosch manuals are still 8k a piece, and then the actual interfacing to load the software you just wrote is another expense. I know from working with Unitronicsthose guys barely have a social life [8D]. I run weird hours at my shop, and if i call late saturday night with a car the needs to be reflashed because of a recall (MK5 Gti Software update) , they are they areready to go.

Really, i think we should be happy they arent 1000 dollars, because they would stillsell them. I would still have bough mine. And i am sure that anyone has been chipped would agree that it was the best money ever spent on there car. But as mentioned before, its all downhill from there. To make an additional 20hp you will now have to spend about a 1000.

So a chip you think is robbery?? you should bitch at some exhaust manufacturers. 2500 for one system and it adds a whopping 20 hp. or the guys making the intercooler kits, maybe 10 hp. And somebody needs to just shoot the CAI manufacturers[8D].

eh whatever this is just my 2 cents.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:04 PM
1st Gear

rayveedub's on the money. The chip is not bad at all for the hp it gives you (keeping in mind, though, the TT for how expensive it was should have a hell of a lot more than 225hp to begin with). In the scheme of things, a chip is a very inexpinsive $perHP upgrade-but other things like exhaust, CAI, dp, wheels, $1100 suspensions, and all this other crap we want to put on our cars is what's so ridiculously expensive. And while I'm on it, if everyonewould, for example,stop paying APR's assinine prices for pretty much everything they sell, maybe prices would start to fall. $2500 for an exhaust 'system'?!! LOL! Are you serious?!

Old 03-07-2008, 01:14 PM
2nd Gear

yea 2500 for the full sytem thats a rip off for sure there turbo kit should include bearings rods and the intake manifold then itd be worth 7k and or free installation at an apr dealer

Old 03-07-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm make believe

You could also drive to Canada and have either Chris Tapp (eurodyne) tune your car for over $100/hour or give it to Ray's boy Mike at Uni for a custom tune.

Funny how the best german tunes come from Can!!

Old 03-07-2008, 07:09 PM
1st Gear

Also, there's a Uni tuner now in Denver--I'm going to switch from APR the day I get back from Iraq!

Old 03-07-2008, 10:50 PM

yet another one switching from apr....we have already done a few.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:04 PM
1st Gear

I'm supposing uni can do any tune apr can, including syncing up with all my basic mods including my w/m kit?

Old 03-07-2008, 11:11 PM

yeah uni works better with other mods. Its not a static tune. The computer still retains its "learning" abilities.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:06 AM
2nd Gear

VW/Audi has some of the CHEAPEST chips. Have you looked at the price of performance software for the Saab? $900 ON SALE!

Quick Reply: i swear getting chipped is like robbery - why are they so much $?