Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

i swear getting chipped is like robbery - why are they so much $?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 03:08 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: i swear getting chipped is like robbery - why are they so much $?

ORIGINAL: chosos

i can get the neuspeed for $399 now. i heard it is the smoothest. I am mostly stock and plan on staying that way for a bit. if I really wanted a BT, I'd just sell my TT and buy a newer one with it already installed. However, i'm looking for just a bit more pep. nothing major.

how much is the uni tune?
i have the neuspeed chip. it is smooth. it has some ***** when you need it too. the neuspeed TT chip is pretty underrated. (i heard the A4 ones blow). ive driven a local's APR 180 TT FWD and yeah, not that big of a difference. good thing Neuspeed's headquarters are 30 min. away, i just drove over there and had em do it in like 20 min.

but really though, all chips/flashes are all within similar power range. i mean honestly, the debate goes on in which chip/flash to get, but all they do is give you slightly higher numbers on the dyno. and as a daily driver, ur really not going to notice the slight power differences unless you run 1/4's and track ur TT everyday.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:22 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: chosos

I called / emailed the local tuner shops to in the Detroit area.

APR = $749
Neuspeed Optican = $499

waiting to hear back from Giac. I couldnt find info on anything else local.

why was I thinking this would only run 300-400 bucks?
I am APR chipped. $499.00 which is suggested cost so, don't pay more than that. Best $500.00 I've spent. Takes 20 minutes.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:33 PM
5th Gear

If you can wait a few months, you can usually get sale prices on tunes once the show season starts. When I chipped my 180, I paid $550 for 93 and 100 oct from APR(buy one get one free), they also had 1 program for $400 I believe. You don't need to be at the show for the discount, so your local guy should be able to do it. (I paid for mine at H2O, but actually had it done (soldered chip) in NY a week later.)

Old 03-05-2008, 08:41 PM

^ totally true. if you can get out to one of the major shows this year most of the major companies are there and will hook it up.

IMO the chip is definitely the best bang for the buck. its actually kinda depressing that every other mod you do after the chip is gonna cost a lot more and not give you anywhere near the same gains per dollar.

not for nothing, but i dont have many mods at all (just the stuff in my sig), and i am already totally satisfied with my car. yeah i know a lot of people really take it to the next level, and more power to them, but im quite happy the way things are. once i get my suspension, RSB, and intake on next week im seriously gonna be done for a while. well, maybe some wheels later in the season but thats about it.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:29 PM
2nd Gear

[quote]ORIGINAL: scoTT la rock

IMO the chip is definitely the best bang for the buck. its actually kinda depressing that every other mod you do after the chip is gonna cost a lot more and not give you anywhere near the same gains per dollar.
I really liked what you said and totally agree. Then you said.......
not for nothing, but i dont have many mods at all (just the stuff in my sig), and i am already totally satisfied with my car.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:45 PM

ORIGINAL: beachchair

ORIGINAL: scoTT la rock

I really liked what you said and totally agree. Then you said.......
not for nothing, but i dont have many mods at all (just the stuff in my sig), and i am already totally satisfied with my car.[:'(]
haha well im easy to please. don't get me wrong, if money was no object i would take the TT pretty damn far, but i have other hobbies which eat up my fun $ (like the 15K in guitar stuff i own ). so for now, i'm cool with what i have. but who knows what will happen a little farther down the road....

Old 03-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: techbod

learn how the system works and DIY ( obd ) on board diagnostics
Thats the best advice all day, strange way of putting it though....

Old 03-06-2008, 10:49 AM
I'm make believe

To bad none of us will probably ever have a chance to have access to such programs.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:59 AM

I think when you are buying a chip upgrade you are buying a license..this is why they need your contact info. The reason they can charge so much is for the same reason Microsoft can charge so much for an O.S.It's like 100% profit to the chip programmers, as you are not actually buying anything "physical" Ray told me he does not make much if anything on chip upgrades.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm make believe

You guys are forgetting all the time and money went to make the tunes what they are. Sure, its about time for some of them to come down, but since people will pay the $500, there is no reason for them to.

Quick Reply: i swear getting chipped is like robbery - why are they so much $?