Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

I need someone to check out this Intercooler setup and tell me if its okay.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 04:30 PM
1st Gear
Default I need someone to check out this Intercooler setup and tell me if its okay.

I have an IC that my gf picked up for me as a gift. I think she got it on eBay, but I dont have the heart to not use it. Plus - its free.

I own a 2001 180 TTQC that has a single SMIC. The new IC measures out: 27"x6.5"x2.5" and its setup for 2.5" hoses.

I think I recall reading that 180QC FMIC kits require a new manifold (or some other hardware), but I was wondering if I could utilize the pipe that the Dual SMIC on the 225 use to run the air back. I have a couple of images attached. I understand this is not the best solution, but honestly it only needs to yield better results than my current SMIC as it would be nice to drop the temp a bit.

What do you guys / gals think? Suggestions? Ideas? How much PSI do you think I will lose to the extra path length?

Old 06-25-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: I need someone to check out this Intercooler setup and tell me if its okay.

no need to change intake manifolds. go here and tell them you just need the ic piping. the cores are the ~ the same dimensions and should work fine with minimum cutting and modifacations. Shouldnt cost you more than another $300.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:44 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: I need someone to check out this Intercooler setup and tell me if its okay.

wow, thats a cheap kit. but the routing is fine to put it through that SMIC pipe? The distance wont add heat or pressure loss issues or anything?

Old 06-25-2007, 10:53 PM
3rd Gear

You should be able to make it work it looks pretty good, but you will have to watch your "aliens" (aka Headlight washers) they will most likely have to be taken out. Good luck!

Old 06-26-2007, 12:28 AM
2nd Gear

Cincy, so I take it that kit (including core) fits a 180TT fine? That's a nice price for it.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:39 AM
1st Gear

i look forward to pulling the aliens. Ive had the fuse pulled since Ive had the car. All the dang things do is mess up my car after I wash it. Once I pull the aliens, do I have to glue the doors / covers in place or will they just stay closed?

Old 06-26-2007, 07:10 AM
2nd Gear

Yea, I can't stand those things either. I think they're worthless without the little wipers like Volvos have. I think if my headlights were dirty enough that light wasn't getting through them and it was affecting my driving... the bumper would probably be just as dirty and the alien doors probably wouldn't even open. It would probably have to be caked with mud to prevent HID headlights from shining through the lenses [sm=smiley21.gif]

Old 06-26-2007, 08:29 AM
3rd Gear

Mine stay closed, but when I re-do the front end of my TT I am thinking of having they "shaved" so you cant tell they are there.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:00 AM
1st Gear

I *just* had my front repainted. I am kicking myself now that I didnt have them shaved - not that its a big deal, but ya know.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:05 AM
1st Gear

now back to the topic - if I use this FMIC setup versus my single SMIC, I will see some benefit (given the dimensions), right? I am concerned about adding ~5 feet of tubing along the IC path and how it might effect the PSI.

How much PSI loss is common and/or acceptablewith an intercooler? I want to make sure the overall benefit is there before I go mounting pipe and tearing my front end off. I am also going to run a cold air intake the same weekend I do the FMIC. :-)

Quick Reply: I need someone to check out this Intercooler setup and tell me if its okay.