Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Huge Turbo lag after Tcarbon FMIC installed???

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Default Huge Turbo lag after Tcarbon FMIC installed???

After I have installed my Tcarbon FMIC. I can feel a huge turbo lag. Which takes about 1-2 second to get the power after you hit your gas pedal.
I was wondering what the reason is, I came up with a few possible reasons.

1.Hose clamps are not tighten, air leaks.
The first time I installed the kit. I did not tighten the clamps on the cross pipe. Alright, I didn't even used a clamp, cause I have trouble accessing it. I put the car together and test drove it. It gives me absolutely no boost, I can hear the air run thru sound, but no power. I got about 2-3 psi at that time. It has to be the cross pipe leaks, so the next day, I found myself a way to do it without doing it all over again. Is to access the cross-pipe from underneath. After its done, It gave me 18psi and that's what a 180 chipped is supposed to get. But, with a big-*** turbo lag.

2.longer route of air passing thru pipes
well, a FMIC need a whole new pipes set up. Which gives the air a longer route to go thru. Isn't it?

3. DV relocation or a bad DV.
The entire FMIC kit from Tcarbon also contain a DV relocation kit. here is the link of detail desciptions.
http://www.tcarbon.com/product_info.php?products_id=313
Will this be possibly causes a turbo lag??
or my DV is bad??

Well guys, I really do need your opinion on this. let me know what you think and what else I can do to find out what causes it.[X(]

Old 08-13-2007, 12:11 AM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Huge Turbo lag after Tcarbon FMIC installed???

Ifyou are still hitting the same boost as before, you are not leaking or have any pressure drop. I guess you missed the part where i said that this kit has a good 3-5' (thats feet, NOT INCHES) longer than most other kits. Add that extra distance with an ineffient core and you are in for some lag.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:40 AM
3rd Gear

Yea its probably because of the extra feet of piping, take a 50 shot it will feel alot better!

Old 08-13-2007, 01:03 AM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: TYLOR
You are obviously entitled to your opinion though I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers from nor do I think they're accurate. Obviously added volume means more volume for the turbo to fill, however, the turbo pushes a lot of air and the added volume is nearly negligible. It's such a small difference that it can barely be calculated, the spool is < 100 rpms later, it's not noticable.

Guess it was a little more than than his <100 estimate [sm=guilty.gif]

Old 08-13-2007, 01:21 AM
1st Gear

i was thinking about getting the tcarbon but after reading this im not sure. is it worth to just wait and save a little more $ to get the apr or forge?

Old 08-13-2007, 01:33 AM
I'm make believe

Both would perform better than what has been shown here if everything was done correctly. I still think for the money that the tuner-stop.com would be good choice. Requires more work, but had only about 1psi drop and betting less lag issues.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:50 AM
2nd Gear

lets not forget that there could be some issues with the install. why dont you double check all your connections and make 100% that there are no leaks. don't speculate on the leaks... you'd never know.

Do you have an MBC? you could adjust the turbo onset to even out the lag in the turbo.

Another question when are you hitting full boost? @ what RPM?

Old 08-13-2007, 10:17 AM
1st Gear

There is obviously something wrong with the install -- you should not have clamps left over. Drop the belly pan (~8 torx) to get easier access to the cross-tube clamps. Check for air-leaks, lose clamps, ect.

Cincy, I've asked you before to stop posting lies about the kit. If you are going to post your opinion, fine, but please note it just as that. I also don't appreciate you calling ME a liar.

The K03 turbo flows 275 CFM @ 15PSI
That is 475,200 CIM @ 15PSI (Cubic INCHES per Minute)
The added piping is 3.5' = 42" @ 60MM Diameter which = a 1.18" Radius
The volume of a cylinder equals the (area of the base)*height= pie r^2
Therefore, the volume of the added length = 183.8 Cubic Inches

Back to the turbo flowing, it flows 475,200 CIM, let's change that to seconds
475,200/60 = 7,920 Cubic Inches per Second

Now, let's find out how many seconds it takes to fill that added volume:
183.8/7920 = 0.02 SECONDS

The guy clearly states that he doesn't even have clamps on some of the hoses, and you want to go and blame the kit.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: JaceTun

It has to be the cross pipe leaks, so the next day, I found myself a way to do it without doing it all over again. Is to access the cross-pipe from underneath. After its done, It gave me 18psi and that's what a 180 chipped is supposed to get. But, with a big-*** turbo lag.
sounds like he fixed what he said earlier to me. If it was 100-300rpms, im sure that wouldnt fall into the category of "big-*** lag"

Not sure where i have lied yet.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:41 AM

you really could use a BM to control onset though and correct and lag right?

Quick Reply: Huge Turbo lag after Tcarbon FMIC installed???