Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Horrible MPG after disconnecting the battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 01:08 AM
2nd Gear
Default Horrible MPG after disconnecting the battery

So a few weeks ago I disconnected my battery to reset something, I can't remember why. but anyway shortly after doing so I was getting horrible MPG, I could almost watch the needle go down. At the time I didn't really realize it was because of undoing the battery... but after several days the MPG improved until it was back to normal.

wellthe otherdayI disconnected my battery so that I could re align the TB because I had it off cleaning it, and wouldn't you know my MPG has gone to **** again... I maybe drove 20 miles today and used nearly a quarter tank of gas [:@]WTF, I dont understand it [>:]

Old 07-23-2007, 01:12 AM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Horrible MPG after disconnecting the battery

my best guess would be you have to wait for adaptaion to take effect before your milage goes back to normal.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:14 AM
2nd Gear

If you're getting a bad connection... your car may actually be "running" off the alternator and not the battery. That will put extra strain on the motor and demand more power.

I'm probably talking out my ***... but it sounded logical in my head. hmm

Old 07-23-2007, 01:16 AM
2nd Gear

Are you supposed to disconnect the battery when cleaning the TB? Cause I didnt. Ooops

Old 07-23-2007, 01:17 AM
2nd Gear

yeh I guess the ecu kinda has to start from scratch again... but I don't see why it takes so long to get adapted. last time it took a good week before I started seeing "close" to normal mpg

Old 07-23-2007, 01:17 AM
I'm make believe

should be find unless you moved the butterfly. Id still reset it to be safe.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:19 AM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: eliTTe

yeh I guess the ecu kinda has to start from scratch again... but I don't see why it takes so long to get adapted. last time it took a good week before I started seeing "close" to normal mpg
you need to cycle the engine a couple of times before it takes effect. Can take up to 100miles i believe

Old 07-23-2007, 01:31 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

ORIGINAL: eliTTe

you need to cycle the engine a couple of times before it takes effect. Can take up to 100miles i believe
ok cool, thanks cincy!

neur0tic- sounds logical, but I should be getting a good connection, no corrosion and the terminals are on tight

Old 07-23-2007, 02:02 AM
3rd Gear

TB alignment? Will that cause poor gas mileage?

Old 07-23-2007, 02:36 AM
I'm make believe

The TB is dbw (electronic) not dbc (mechanical) so the tps (throttle positioning sensor) can get missaligned and cause the car to run poor because its letting in or not letting in to much air, whatever the case maybe. But that shouldnt cause bad milage after corrected

Quick Reply: Horrible MPG after disconnecting the battery