Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Holy false sense of security!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 01:12 PM
5th Gear
Default Holy false sense of security!!!

Pulled my timing belt cover off in the process of removing my valve cover to finish the catch can. Do a quick inspection of the timing belt (has 16 months, 34K miles on it) and the belt has slack!!!

Seems the tensioner is shot, so compressed that my first thought was that I was an idiot and never pulled the release pin. I did, its just shot. Oily grime all around it which says to me the seals went.

Kit was from dieselgeek. Doubt I can call on a sunday, but I'll def. email and see if this has been an issue for anyone else. Rather not do the whole deal over again, like to replace just the tensioner at this point if I can.

I'll be mechanically tensioning in the meantime, Im gonna try to shim under the eccentric pully to keep the belt tight.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:08 PM
3rd Gear

that sucks but at least you should be able to put that pin back in and jsut replace the tensioner...i had to do it when i did mine cuz the first time i put the belt on it was off two teeth...put pin back in and tried again and BINGO

Old 08-24-2008, 05:14 PM
5th Gear

Pain in the *** part is that I DON'T have the car apart for a timing belt change right now. Which means I have to dig back in there just the same only to swap out a faulty part.

If you guys are smart, you'll take this as a hint to maybe pop your timing belt cover off once in a while and inspect the belt for wear/tension. This could have EASILY turned into a nightmare of a project.

I did manage to jack up the forked tab of the eccentric to tension the belt. Similar to how you'd use that to squeeze it down to replace the pin in the tensioner, I used a 5x50 bolt, a washer, and a nut. The bolt was threaded into the tensioner, the nut and washer (installed before the bolt was put in the car) is screwed upwards from under the forked tab, lifting the tab, and tightening the belt.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:35 PM
4th Gear

Eek! Going to check mine now!

Old 08-24-2008, 08:00 PM
4th Gear

look at the bright side, at least you caught it before... you know... a bad day

Old 08-24-2008, 10:17 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by theTTkid
look at the bright side, at least you caught it before... you know... a bad day
Like mine :-(

Old 08-25-2008, 07:58 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by achTTung
Pulled my timing belt cover off in the process of removing my valve cover to finish the catch can. Do a quick inspection of the timing belt (has 16 months, 34K miles on it) and the belt has slack!!!

Seems the tensioner is shot, so compressed that my first thought was that I was an idiot and never pulled the release pin. I did, its just shot. Oily grime all around it which says to me the seals went.

Kit was from dieselgeek. Doubt I can call on a sunday, but I'll def. email and see if this has been an issue for anyone else. Rather not do the whole deal over again, like to replace just the tensioner at this point if I can.
Guess it was a good idea that you decided to weld in that fitting. Otherwise you never would have known.
Keep us posted on what dieselgeek tells you.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:48 AM
4th Gear

im still dancin around on 71k miles on my timing belt ballsy and stupid, very very stupid

Old 08-25-2008, 12:54 PM
5th Gear

Dieselgeek FTW!

Got a call today (dont even remember listing a phone number). I'm getting a waranteed, aka, free replacement shipped to me.

And here i've been stressing that I'd need to dump a bunch more maintenance money into the car when I need to be concentrating on other bills.