Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Help diagnose a problem - Engine Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Default Help diagnose a problem - Engine Oil Pressure

Hi there.
Hoping some of you guys and help me.

I have an Mk1 Audi TT quattro 2001 1.8t (180 bhp) 6 speed coupe.

I was going on a bit of a trip last Friday and checked the oil and found it to be VERY low.
I topped it up with some fully synthetic and took off.
MY trip (later that day) was on some motor way so I suppose I was doing a fairly fast pace for a prolonged period.
But the car performed well with out any hickups - as usual.

The last part of my trip (after a brief stop) was down a fairly remote narrow road and after pulling in to let a car pass I managed to snag on a large fallen branch which had been laying on the side of road in long grass.
There was a banging on crunching on the underside of the car as I pulled away (nothing too sever but I'm thinking it may be relevant). Travelling slowly on for a 1 or 2 miles to my destination when i parked up and got out I was noticed a slightly unusual odor which may have been just normal heat from the Engine but it's not an odor I've noticed before.

Anyway that car was parked up for 2 days and when I returned to make my return journey I drove with out incident for about 1.5 hours
then on the motorway while overtaking the Oil Pressure warning light (red) came on and beeped 3 times (There was no change in power delivery on the throttle).

I pulled in and checked oil level and it seemed fine. I could smell that unusual smell again seem to be coming from the engine bay (But was fainter then it had been - possibly because of other normal engine smells).

I limped home (it came on a few more times when pulling away from a stop) and have left it on the drive this morning.
The car is due a service (about 2000 over actually).

I'm pretty worried that a main dealer is going to charge me a fortune to replace something - I'm always distrusting of their diagnoses particularly in these tough times - my local main dealer is famous for it.
(I'm not sure I should drive it to another dealer with a better rep. and risk doing more damage since it's further away).

Another possibility is that I just send it in for a service and see what they say with out saying much.

So I'm looking for advice and also theories on what might be the problem ?

Also is the incident with the branch and ling grass likely to have anything to do with anything at all ?
A mate (not a mechanic!) didn't think anything of the smells I was referring to he wondered if it was normal engine smells - but then he's not used to my car.

I'd appreciate any advice or theories - i've put 12,000 miles on this car (had it about 12 months and this is a first.

It's got about 83,000 miles on the clock (i've had FSH and timing belt/water pump has been done).

I'm actually planning on selling the car soon (growing family) and while I don't want to sell a lemon I also don't want to spend a fortune.

Thanks
K.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:36 PM
5th Gear

The low oil level sensor attaches at the back edge of the oil pan. If you don't have the plastic belly pan on, (or maybe even if you do) its possible that you snagged/bumped that sensor, and its either damaged, or the connector is loose. Pretty easy to get the car in the air and just wiggle a connector to be sure its fully engaged. I'd start there.