Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Help: 2000 TT randomly turns off in traffic

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Question Help: 2000 TT randomly turns off in traffic

I'm the proud owner of a 2000 FWD Audi TT. It's got about 60,000 miles on it. Here's my situation:

For no apparent reason the car will randomly turn off. This will happen in traffic, or at a stop light. There is no pattern. I can turn the key and the starter will turn over and rev, but the engine will refuse to restart.

I have to pull over (or push the car across the interstate), wait about 5 minutes, and then the car will mysteriously work again as if nothing ever happened.

Here are some recent facts about the car that are relevant:

1) I had the timing belt replaced and some gaskets because there was a small oil leak. I also had the AC fixed. Ever since these repairs the check engine light would randomly light up some days but not others.

2) The check engine light would not stay on, and seemed to turn off after the car was turned off and the back hatch was closed. The car ran fine and I think the light being on was a glitch, since TT's are possessed by electrical demons.

3) I drove the car from SF to Denver and the problems didn't start until I reached Denver. It's COLD in Denver. That might have something to do with it.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't know of a competent mechanic in the Denver area so I'd like to figure out what the issue probably is before taking it in and getting fleeced.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-02-2009, 04:49 PM
1st Gear

Coil packs or plugs? Have they been changed?

You need to hook it up to vagcom and pull codes. Find an autozone and scan the car for free.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:53 PM
1st Gear

try scanning it for codes some dont trigger the cel, if you dont have your own scan tool you can normally use one for free at an auto parts store

Old 01-02-2009, 05:07 PM

It seems to happen regardless to the engine temperature. Also, there is no sputtering. The car just cold shuts off as if I turned off the ignition except all the lights stay on.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

does the amount of fuel in your tank effect the shut off could also be an electrical issue since your getting random cel that disapears you should take a trip to autozone for a scan maybe you will find a code to help solve your issue

Old 01-02-2009, 06:04 PM
2nd Gear

You need to find the codes. Otherwise, it's a waste of time.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:31 PM
1st Gear

x2...any parts store will be able to scan it. Just write down the code number/description

Old 01-02-2009, 08:12 PM
2nd Gear

Sounds like the engine speed sensor is on its way out. I've seen a few other posts over the years with symptoms similar to yours.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I'll get the codes pulled. Hopefully the car will get me to the shop safely.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:03 PM
1st Gear

I had a similar problem on my bimmer a while back ended up being a relay, but was a pita to find

Quick Reply: Help: 2000 TT randomly turns off in traffic