Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Hello Everyone, getting a TT, mistake?..

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 11:57 PM
1st Gear
Default Hello Everyone, getting a TT, mistake?..

I have found a 2000 TT FWD that I think is a great deal and has about 68k miles.The dealer says the beltwas already replaced FWIW.

I needed a car for work that gets great MPG and is fun to drive, I looked at the BMW 3 series, I think the back seats are useless and the over all quality of the brand is suspect at best, so I figured just forget the back seat...

I do have typical newb questions, but I have read and searched this site for a few days and have discovered that the TT has a lot less serious problems than the BMW cars in general, (have you seen the rear ends rip out of those Z3's or the body mounts on the 3?) and that makes me feel a bit better about my decision to get a Audi sports car in place of the luxo cruiser.

I guess I just wanted some feedback from other TT owners about my choice to get the FWD, it fits the budget and I do not plan on many hard drag launches, just passing power and mid-range. I do my own work as a rule, I can figure most things out, but then again there are times when I have no time and hire work out if needed. I could anticipate getting the power up with the chip and exhaust work etc.. But I kinda wanted to know if I am buying a bastard car by getting the FWD 1.8 car?

I have had a quatro in the past, it was the 1980's and those in-line 5's ruled the highway...ahhh the 80's...am I showing my age here?

Anyway, any caveats or warnings?

Thanks

Alex
(yes you may have sen me over at bimmerforums, just dont tell them LOL)

Old 01-09-2007, 12:21 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Hello Everyone, getting a TT, mistake?..

if all major service is done, and the car checks out.... I would buy it... But you do have to ask yourself if you want quattro? if you think theresa chance of you being dissapointed after purchase, then dont buy it. The sheer fact that you created this post asking if it is a mistake buy leads me to believe you have doubts. Therefore i think you should buy exactly what you want.... be it quattro.... the 225hp 1.8T or the V6.....

good luck.....

Old 01-09-2007, 01:26 AM
1st Gear

Well, What I WANT I cant afford (and would not make a good driver) so it comes down to bang for the buck. Having had an Audiquatro in the past I don't think I really "need" all wheel drive. I have a Tacoma if snow is in the forecast, so that rules out "needing" AWD I guess, and my last front driver did a great job in the light snow I may see during the work day.Is there any reason I would be "Disappointed" with a non-quatro car? I do not see wheel hop in a drag launch being a big deal for me as I do not feel the need to drag launch a 4 cylinder car...
My question was really focused on the FWD 1.8, Is it worth tuning or modding this car at all? I really think it is a fancy bug with sexy clothes, and that is fine for what I am going to do with it...but if there are owners who tell me that I should just drive it and not try to make more power I would love to hear there comments..

Old 01-09-2007, 01:43 AM
3rd Gear

you could make great power for around 500 bucks with a chip..... and you would put more power to the ground as it would not be quattro. what kind of deal are you going to get on the TT in question?

Old 01-09-2007, 10:33 AM
1st Gear

More info after I get it home! It is an 00 with mid 60's on the clock with new tires and shows really really well. I will post pics when I get it home.
I have seen more than a few posts abut chip in here.. I cant wait. I also figured that the fwd would weigh less and waste less HP through the awd setup.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:13 PM
4th Gear

Congrats on the new ride!
Did they do the timing belt, water pump and tensioners before you purchased your TT?
Might want to find out if you need this service done before you start modifying your car.

Enjoy!