Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

heel to toe

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 11:32 PM
3rd Gear
Default heel to toe

Heal and toe" refers to the right foot position as it operates both the gas and the brake pedal at the same time. Actually, on most modern cars it's better to use the ball of the foot (under the big toe) on the brake pedal and the edge of the foot (about halfway between the little toe and the heel) on the gas pedal. I think it's better to refer to it as "ball and edge". There are some individual variations in position based on foot size, type of shoe, seating position, pedal placement, and so on. It's important to give preference to the brake pedal for safety reasons, and because the brakes require more accurate control feel than the engine speed. I have size 11 shoes. In my ti I position my foot so that my heel is on the floor near the base of the gas pedal. The ball of my foot is centered half way top to bottom on the brake pedal, with the edge of the brake pedal at my middle toe. My foot is in approximately the eleven o'clock position when I am doing this. In this position I can firmly apply the brakes, and the control feel is pretty much the same as if I was operating the brake pedal alone. By rocking my foot, I can apply the gas without varying the pressure on the brake pedal (this is one part in particular that takes practice). When I'm done braking, I slide my foot over so that it's directly on the gas pedal. My heel has remained on the same place on the floor. Some people, particularly with smaller feet, don't keep their heel on the floor. There are some other cars that I lift my own heel from the floor. I like to have it on the floor if possible because it makes it easier to consistently control the brake pressure while rocking the foot. It's important not to have the seat too far back because the knee needs to move side to side just a little bit when doing this. Having the leg stretched out too far restricts this motion. Aftermarket pedal covers can benefit some cars and foot sizes by bringing the edges of the pedals closer together and by changing the height relationship between the pedals. On some cars with hanging gas pedals, the gas pedal can be bent to a more favorable position (this can't be done on the ti because the pedal is hinged from the floor). I don't recommend trying to bend the brake pedal. Also be aware that pedal covers can reduce the space for a larger foot to fit between the brake pedal and the center console. I have found the stock pedal positions to be quite good for me. Obviously this is a highly individual thing. I would suggest that people spend a significant amount of time experimenting with foot positioning before trying to reposition the pedals or investing in pedal covers. Why heel and toe (ball and edge)? One basic situation is starting up hill. Ball and edge allows a smooth transition from brake to gas while operating the clutch with the left foot so that the car doesn't move backwards. Many people also use the term "heel and toe" to refer to rev-matching while shifting and/or double clutching, but it's actually just one component of these processes. Rev-matching refers to matching the engine speed to the transmission input speed before re-engaging the clutch. This is particularly desirable when downshifting for a corner. In a hard corner, the suspension needs to be stable and the tires need to be loaded so that all of their traction is being used to generate cornering force. If the engine is at a different speed than the transmission input when the clutch is re-engaged, this will generate a force on the driveline that will upset the stability of the suspension and will cause the tires to exceed their traction capability if the corner is being taken near the limit. It *is* necessary to rev-match if a corner is to be taken near the limit. It isn't necessary for slower corners, but it will make them smoother. Double clutching is a technique for rev-matching the transmission's *intermediate shaft* to the output gear that is to be selected. This is a function that is normally handled automatically by the transmission's synchro-mesh gears (or synchro's). It is useful to double clutch for extreme gear changes, for older transmissions with worn synchro's, or simply to save wear on the synchro's. It's also an entertaining thing to do. Before I get into the specifics of rev-matching and double clutching, it would probably be good to review the inner workings of the clutch and transmission. The ti's gasoline engine has a limited output bandwidth of approximately 1000 to 6000 RPM. It can't operate from 0 RPM (like an electric motor can), so it needs a device (the clutch) to disconnect it from the drive train so that it can idle while the car is at a standstill. The power is not constant from 1000 to 6000 RPM, so it is also necessary to have different gear ratios in the transmission to extend the car's useful operation speed range and to maximize available acceleration. The clutch also serves to disconnect power to the transmission when changing gears.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:18 AM
Default RE: heel to toe

Thanks

Old 03-23-2007, 04:37 PM
1st Gear

please keep going...very well written and interesting

Old 03-24-2007, 01:28 PM
1st Gear

\Although true in some regards it is not the reason you have a transmission with different gears. Every piston aircraft I've ever flown has 0 gears as do most boats unless they are powered by higher revving turbine motors and even that only brings them to 2 gears. The purpose of the transmission is to reduce torque. (Hence the term reduction transmission that is often used on boats). This is because the wheels connot spin as fast as the crank and therefore can not be directly attached to them. Having only one gear will limit your operating speeds but has little to duewith the powerband. In order to continue to operate the vehicle over a larger vehicle speed range effectively multiple gears are operated with the intent of having gears operable only a certain speeds which is why you can't launch your car in 4th gear, the torque has been reduced to dramatically. It is the major downfall of propelling a vehicle with wheels. In the case of a piston aircraft the crank is attached directly to the prop and no torque reduction is not necessary or desirable and prop speed or aircraft propulsion is directly proportionate to engine rpm. Now with a turboprop a reduction or torque may or may not be performed.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:28 PM
1st Gear

Food for thought!

Old 03-24-2007, 07:13 PM
3rd Gear

DISCLAIMER!!!

just to let everyone know i didnt write that heel toe explantation although i was gonna write one but i managed to find this on the net and its almost exactly what i was gonna write. i just managed save myself the time of typeing all that.