Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Hard time starting Audi / RPM bounces

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 11:36 AM
1st Gear
Default Hard time starting Audi / RPM bounces

Hey all,

This is my first post here and I appreciate any help or advice given.

As of monday, I've had a very hard time starting my 2002 TT. After numerous attempts during the day, I'll manage to have it started once or twice. The car sometimes turns on like it would normally, but then shuts off within 10 seconds. Before this problem occurred, the RPM gauge would bounce first thing in the morning. I would have to put my foot on the accelerator for a little bit, and then the RPM would even itself out.

From what I read online, it seemed to be the ignition coil. However, I took my car to the family mechanic. He told me that the ignition coils seem to be fine, and that it is the key that needs programming.

I'm a bit skeptical about what he's saying, since it seems to be unrelated to the RPM gauge problem.

Any advice or help?

Thank you
MX

Old 07-19-2012, 10:22 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mxindustry
Hey all,

This is my first post here and I appreciate any help or advice given.

As of monday, I've had a very hard time starting my 2002 TT. After numerous attempts during the day, I'll manage to have it started once or twice. The car sometimes turns on like it would normally, but then shuts off within 10 seconds. Before this problem occurred, the RPM gauge would bounce first thing in the morning. I would have to put my foot on the accelerator for a little bit, and then the RPM would even itself out.

From what I read online, it seemed to be the ignition coil. However, I took my car to the family mechanic. He told me that the ignition coils seem to be fine, and that it is the key that needs programming.

I'm a bit skeptical about what he's saying, since it seems to be unrelated to the RPM gauge problem.

Any advice or help?

Thank you
MX
that usually means a coil pack MSRP is around $24.000 each X 4 or just find the one that is bad.. as far as the key with these electrical problems it is possible .... is your instrument cluster have pixels out or gauges messed up ?? is it chipped ?? who's is it ?

Old 07-20-2012, 01:33 PM
1st Gear

is your instrument cluster have pixels out or gauges messed up ?? is it chipped ??
Yeah, the electronic instrument cluster in the centre is almost impossible to read, and the key is chipped. The spedometer, RPM meter, time, etc is fine though.

I dropped it off at a place that specializes in electronic modules in cars, and I'm expecting a call back from them any time.

Do you think the problem is a minor one?

I was told the coils are fine. :/