Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

halo rings and head light removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 04:37 AM
1st Gear
Default halo rings and head light removal

Hello to all, i just purchased a set of halo rings, universal, i was woundering if anyone knows how to disasemble the headlight, or if there is anyone who might have pics, or possible instructions, on instaling these rings, many thanx in advance.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:03 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: halo rings and head light removal

take the front bumper off... remove headlights, then you have to throw them into the oven... i dont know how hot though, look for a clear corner write-up

Old 10-03-2007, 07:44 AM
2nd Gear

[ol][*]pull back the wheel wellliners[*]Remove the two 10mm nuts oneach sideinside behind the windshield washer arms in the wheel wells.[*]remove 2 torx 25 screws just inside the wheel well liners once they're pulled back. on the left side... they are just above where the bump meets the side skirt[*]remove 6 tricky fasteners under the hood along the bumper top.[*]remove fairings[*]remove 6 10mm bolts under the fairing[*]remove bumper[*]remove 3 torx on each headlight to remove.[*]disconnect light connectors.[*]remove four clips from each light that hold lens to housing[*]put headlight assembly into oven @ 170F (lowest setting) for 10 minutes to soften RTV sealant that holds lens to housing[*]remove from oven[*]Pry lens from housing with flat head screwdriver[*]light seperates into 3 pieces each. (housing, light fixture, lens)[/ol]
It's a good idea to do the reflector delete mod at this time

[ol][*]on back side of housing... scrape off the dowel posts that hold on the big square reflector on the side.[*]remove reflector.[*]put bondo, epoxy, glue, calk, or whatever else you want into the holes FROM THE BACK SIDE with a toothpick. let it drip through until it barely surfaces the front side.[*]let dry[*]sand off any excess on the front side.[*]repaint whichever color you desire[/ol]
Reassemble in reverse order.

-Chris

Old 10-03-2007, 08:34 AM
4th Gear

good write up

Old 10-03-2007, 08:47 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks. forgot all about the friggin halos though. lmfao

Once you get the light apart, the halos should hve a round metal clip that hooks on to the light, whichever you choose to put it on (I put mine on the highbeam and tapped into the parking light so the halo still lit up on the highbeam (center light) when the parking lights only were on... AND when the headlights are on.)

then the best thing to use is a piggyback splice and just tap into the parking light hot wire and parking light ground.

thats it. real easy

Old 10-03-2007, 09:05 AM
4th Gear

ah those electronics... i think i may attempt this and do clear corners at the same time...

Old 10-03-2007, 09:09 AM
2nd Gear

Yea, I did my FMIC, clear corners, reflector delete, caliper paint, angel eyes, &headlight housing paint (gunmetal silver) all at the same time. Took me about 2.5 hrs to do the FMIC i think... and about 2-3 hours for the rest combined (i was drinking absynth and BBQing at the same time though so I probably could have done it all in about 3 hours if I'd been doing just that.

easy mods, well worth the time.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:32 AM

The bumper removal is a lot easier than it sounds. Especially after the 1st time doing it. I think I could get the bumper off now in less than 10mins and that includes taking the wheels off also.

I'm going to eventually go back in to my headlights and was thinking about angel eyes then as well.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: diehlryan

The bumper removal is a lot easier than it sounds. Especially after the 1st time doing it. I think I could get the bumper off now in less than 10mins and that includes taking the wheels off also.
Yeah, i dont have the lower bolt attached behind the ic either

Old 10-03-2007, 10:07 AM
2nd Gear

I dont even pull the wheels when i do it.

I've gotten to where i can pull it on my lunch break and put it back on.
I usually just pull the liner screws and fold it back with the wheels on. -shrugs-
Then again, mine isnt lowered at all either. I would imagin it'd be much harder once lowered.

Quick Reply: halo rings and head light removal