Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

haldex install question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:24 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: haldex install question.

Do you have a VAG-COM tool? If so, find the controller that is for AWD (or such) and see if there are any fault codes. I'm not sure your symptoms point to the Haldex controller uniquely.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:31 AM
1st Gear

Unfortunately I don't have a VAG-COM tool, I'd been planning on buying a USB cable and using the ross tech software on my laptop but haven't got round to it. But in the meanwhile I've been driving the car for months with this annoying indicator coming on as soon as I start driving. As it doesn't seem to affect the drive I've failed to go and get it sorted with the fear of being ripped off.

I've read quite a bit that it could relate to any one of many sensors either on the wheels or accelerator. In addition, when you start the car up it does a self test of the abs and esp which gives the all ok. There were no fault codes through the climate control functionality (although I don't know if you would see anything in there relating to the esp).

Cheers,

Lee

Old 04-22-2008, 09:44 AM
2nd Gear

I don't know how much the VAG-COM cable is in the UK (and you want an authentic cable, otherwise you'll have limited functions with the software), but in the US it pays for itself about about two tripsto the dealer to have them check codes. The dealer will tell you they do a bunch of other stuff, but 90% of their job is done by reading any DTCs. Your problem may not be Haldex at all, but something else. Before spending US$1600 for a Haldex controller, make sure that's the problem.

(You can get the Haldex Blue for half that price. Install is only about an hour and you don't have to drain the oil or anything.)

Old 04-22-2008, 09:51 AM
2nd Gear

I've read through this entire thread and there are a few questions that have gone unanswered.

Differences between the controllers:

1. Stock: 80/20 Split, rear disengages under braking
2. Blue: 50/50 Split, rear disengages under braking
3. Orange: 50/50 Split, Full time much like the Torsen system, no disengagement under braking.

How to do the Haldex Function Test

Now for my opinions:

I haven't run the Blue Controller as I went straight from the stock to the Orange. I definitely notice a change in acceleration with the Orange controller. You feel more of a rear wheel contribution straight line or acceleration on turns. On the track, the Orange gives me much better overall control during trail braking or throttle steer. I've driven on wet roads with it and there isn't any loss of feel or handling. I haven't been able to test it in the snow, so I can't comment on that.

Installation took me about 2 hours. It's best to do from a lift, but you can do it on jackstands. There are two Allen screws that hold the unit in place. Disconnect the wiring harness and remove the two screws. This has to be done blindly by feel in very tight quarters. I had no problem with the rubber band method, just use a heavy rubber band. The biggest problem I had was just getting everything aligned to start the screws. Once they are engaged and given a couple of turns to make sure they are not cross threaded, just clip the RB and tighten the rest of the way. Having a selection of different length and style Allen wrenches is a big plus for this job.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:07 AM
1st Gear

Thanks guys- plenty it could be then.

If it's plugged into a VAG-COM will there be a definitive fault code relating to a faulty Haldex unit? My concern isif I replacedthe unit, you can guarantee the light will pop-up again and it was actually something else.

If it was purely a faulty unit I'm assuming general driving is still fine?

Cheers,
Lee

Old 04-22-2008, 10:10 AM
2nd Gear

The Haldex code you will see on the VAG-COM is generally an "Intermittant Signal" which is a sign the Haldex unit has failed or is on its way out. Try running through the test procedure in my previous post. There isn't really any danger in driving the car with a burned out Haldex controller, however, long term may ultimately damage the unit.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:11 AM
2nd Gear

Well, you haven't read the codes yet, so we can't answer your question unequivocally. But generally, replacing a good/non-defective part is not going to correct a problem.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:28 AM
1st Gear

Yes, all guesswork at the moment and just trying to gauge the best way forward and roughly if I can afford to carry on driving the car until I've the cash to resolve the problem :-)

Thanks for your advice.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:40 AM
1st Gear

Quick update...

I finally had my haldex blue installed at my local shop. They ended up only charging me for two hours of labor which Ifelt wasvery reasonable. I've only had it in a couple of weeks now but so far I have definitley noticed a difference in off the line acceleration and a major difference in the way the car feels in corners/curves. It feels so much more balanced and coupled with the H&R rear sway bar the tendency to understeer is almost eliminated. I have yet to try it out in the rain but I assume it will be pretty fun. The only downside so far is that it was a little pricey but I think it was definitley worth the money.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:44 AM
1st Gear

How much is a little pricey? £800ish?

Cheers

Quick Reply: haldex install question.