Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

H&R Rear Sway Bar Settings......???

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 03:27 PM
1st Gear
Default H&R Rear Sway Bar Settings......???

Well, I just couldn't help myself..................I've just ordered the first mod to my "new" stock low-miles, 2001 225hp Quattro Coupe.

I ordered the 21mm H&R rear sway bar and notice it has different adjustment settings. Can someone explain to me the differences? Which setting do I use? The car is intended to be a weekend driver, but with the occasional spirited driving style.

Any advice is welcome!! Tks.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:58 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: H&R Rear Sway Bar Settings......???

I hope somebody gets back to you, because I intend on installing mine Friday night and I have the same question.

Are the sets of holes (2 on each side) the adjustment? What difference will I get running in one set of holes compared to the other set?

Old 06-18-2008, 06:51 PM
2nd Gear

I have a Neuspeed Adjustable: With mine - Center hole is good starting point. Front is stiffer setting. Rear is softer setting.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:39 AM
1st Gear

I ordered the 25mm. Should I set this to softer at first or still the middle? I'm hoping I didnt get too big of one. How drasticly does this change the handling of the car anyway? Instantly noticeable? Understeer, oversteer?

Old 06-20-2008, 11:55 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: NeXeA500

I ordered the 25mm. Should I set this to softer at first or still the middle? I'm hoping I didnt get too big of one. How drasticly does this change the handling of the car anyway? Instantly noticeable? Understeer, oversteer?
I see you have a fwd also. Again, I have a 25mm Neuspeed w/3 adjustment holes. I assume the H&R is similar. I like a stiffer ride, so I set mine all the way forward. When you get under your car you will be surprised to learn that, unlike the Quatro, you have no factory rear sway bar. So it does firm up your ride. You need to get the car pretty high up for the install, and it helps to have a friend handy because it's hard to fit the bracket over the axle housing. I ended up taking mine to a local muffler shop so they could put it on a rack.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:22 PM
1st Gear

So is this possible with a normal floor jack and some jackstands? or Do you recommend a lift? How long does the process take and is there any tips, other than the ones you have kindly supplied, that I should know. I have a full set of air tools, and a friend... and some beer. Thanks.

ORIGINAL: beachchair

I see you have a fwd also. Again, I have a 25mm Neuspeed w/3 adjustment holes. I assume the H&R is similar. I like a stiffer ride, so I set mine all the way forward. When you get under your car you will be surprised to learn that, unlike the Quatro, you have no factory rear sway bar. So it does firm up your ride. You need to get the car pretty high up for the install, and it helps to have a friend handy because it's hard to fit the bracket over the axle housing. I ended up taking mine to a local muffler shop so they could put it on a rack.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:21 PM
2nd Gear

So is this possible with a normal floor jack and some jackstands? or Do you recommend a lift? How long does the process take and is there any tips, other than the ones you have kindly supplied, that I should know. I have a full set of air tools, and a friend... and some beer. Thanks.
Beer will help.
You need to force 2 brackets onto the axle housing, and at the same time start the bolts. So, you need at least 3 hands. It's tight quarters so I finally gave in and went to a rack. It's up to you. Good luck.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:08 AM
1st Gear

Should be no problem to install the rear bar with jackstands. I did front and rear on a 225Q coupe. Rear bar is easy. Should take an hour and a half or less, depending on beer consumption. In retrospect, I probably would have skipped the front, subframe needs to be unbolted and the rack and pinion split off.

Rear sway bar will provide much better handling. Car generally pushes/understeers stock. Now it really likes to go around corners. The inner mounting holes will give you less body roll as that shortens the bar and increases stiffness. You shouldn't really feel any difference in day to day driving except during cornering.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:40 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: cdTT

Should be no problem to install the rear bar with jackstands. I did front and rear on a 225Q coupe. Rear bar is easy. Should take an hour and a half or less, depending on beer consumption.
Rear bar installation on a Quattro is completely different than a fwd.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:57 AM

The thing to keep in mind with rear sway bars is when you go with the shorter settings (towards the 90 deg turn of the bar) you are inducing oversteer. Be ready for the way the car is going to handle. It will understeer less and in turn be less forgiving if you are powered on heavy in a turn.

TT's bias as a FWD car even if they are quattros and the FWD cars need no explanation. You can get yourself in trouble driving aggressively if you don't know what to expect once you have set the bar up.

Quick Reply: H&R Rear Sway Bar Settings......???