Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

GT2X follow up

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 08:23 PM
2nd Gear
Default GT2X follow up

Just a follow up on the GT2X status. I went to see how the install was coming and they already had the new GT2X turbo and ATP highflow exhaust manifold on. They said the Samco inlet pipe will be kinda hard cuz its alot bigger and its a tight fit there. I also saw the old turbo inlet pipe and old manifold and the new ones are alot bigger and will flow alot more air. The stock mani was really small but no cracks in it. I used Unitronic tuning and they need the ecu cuz they have to solder a board on it then send it to their other office to get it flashed. The tuning requires a manual boost controller to work but they say it ptovides a smoother response. I should have it all back a ready by Thurs and will post more.

Old 03-16-2006, 09:53 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: GT2X follow up

This is just to let some people know whats going on witht the GT2X for the FWD 180 TT. My car has been in the shop for about 2 weeks trying to get this setup done. First when the parts came I thought it was all good, the turbo and new mani went on with no problem. But then things got hard. The shift linkage was in the way and had to be moved. Then we find out that the new turbo doesnt just fit to the existing turbo inlet pipe cuz there is no bolt on area on the new turbo for it. So after many attempts to call ATP I could only get through to them by email. (I wonder why?). Well they finally sent me some instructions in the email and when I printed them out I found out they didnt send some parts they were suppose to. Like for the inlet pipe and the shift linkage. Well they finally sent them and looks like things are going better but I may not be able to use the new samco hose I got for the inlet pipe replacement cuz it might be too big. But the new parts for the inlet pipe get rid of alot of the restrictions from the old one. So here are some thigs to remember if you do this set up:

1. The shift linkage has spacers to lift them out of the way so you dont have to make a new bracket.
2. The inlet pipe has a kit to get rid of the ristrictions but it kinda reroutes it around things.
3. The samco hose doesnt fit to the new turbo and may not work (will find out tomorrow).
4. And I think the water pipe has to be pushed (bent) out of the way a bit.

I will post the dyno results in a few days and let you know. All in all I think this will be a good setup I just think they put it out there before it was completely ready or before they were ready.

And oh The turbo is a good bit bigger than the old and I saw a number on the turbine housing for the A/R of .58 so Im not sure how that relates to output right now.

Old 03-16-2006, 09:54 PM
2nd Gear

also I have the instructions I can send by email to anyone who wants them.

Old 04-17-2006, 02:39 PM
2nd Gear

Well here is my new follow up on the install and performance of the new GT2X turbo with Unitronic tuning:

1) The install was a little more than they (ATP) say it is; see previous posts for details.
2) I am still shy about 50 whp from what they say I should be at. Im only at about 190 whp and should be around 240 whp.

I have tried to get in touch with Emil and the Renn-Art company via email but they are not responding. I have to say that I am very disappointed in the tuning so far, it is not what they say it is. Atleaast for this turbo with this car. I have everything they said I should have and it is idling rough, trys to kick in and out while staying at the same rpm, and when I do goose it, it seems to fade out at the higher rpms (which it should stay good till close to redline) and it doesnt kick in good till about 4000 rpm (which it should around 3500 rpm). Now that my ECU is basically useless if I decide to try a different tuner I guess I will have to wait till another company comes out with some tuning that is proven and I will have to probably buy a new ECU since Unitronic had to solder a board onto the existing one. I would say for the transverse FWD TT to wait until a good tuner has proven the file on our car before buying the new GT2X. I should have known something was up when I asked Emil if the tuning for my car was for the transverse engine and my engine code and he told me he wasnt sure what I meant. Files have to be made for each type of car. But thats what I get for being the guenie pig.

I can see a gain in power and torque but the running is a little rough and Im sure this will be a great turbo when a good tuning program comes out for it for our car.

If anyone knows of a good tuning for this car and turbo please let me know.

Old 04-17-2006, 02:41 PM
2nd Gear

Oh also I still have the install instructions if anyone needs them just email me and let me know.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:19 PM
1st Gear

What a disappointment. Have you delt with Renn-Art before?

Old 04-17-2006, 04:09 PM
1st Gear

steve,

i've always responded to your e-mails. i'm not sure if i've missed something recently?

you finally got the injectors installed and everything? i haven't heard from you since then.

this tuning is definitely for the transverse engine. not sure what you mean by that.

there could be something else going on with your car. e-mail me and we'll work it out.

i think i mentioned this to you in an e-mail... the gt2x is the baby of the turbo kits we have, but you should be over 220whp and up to 230whp with that turbo. not much more than that though. 190 is not right though.

can you e-mail us the dyno and a/f charts (and any logs you've done) to us so we can work with unitronic on it. as long as you have no issues with your car (any bad sensor or leak can screw everything up), you should be over 220whp... so something is definitely wrong. maybe the MAF you're using still isnt large enough. the tuning is for a 3" maf. that could be an issue.

the 230 rating we give in our description for this turbo is potential.. incl. full exhaust and front mount intercooler etc. most people will get around 210-230whp (depending on mods and dyno) however.

this is why we like to send them out as a kit and not in pieces (just tuning or just the hardware). but we're here to help you out man. we'll get it working right. just look at arif in the A4 section... eventually it got figured out and it wasnt tuning or anything from the hardware... it ended up being a huge hole in the front mount ic.

Old 04-24-2006, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

you guys haven't posted recently, any progress?

also emil, which turbo is better, the gtrs or the gt2871r? which would make a better 1/4 mile timeslip?(with the same engine components of course), the only difference being the turbos.

Old 04-24-2006, 03:19 PM
1st Gear

i have a 2000 tt 180 quattro by the way

Old 04-24-2006, 05:06 PM
1st Gear

most definitely the 2871r!

there's not too much difference, but the 71r will get you better top end which should eventually pull better quarter mile times.

Quick Reply: GT2X follow up