Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Grinding from P/S Front wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 11:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Grinding from P/S Front wheel

Hey on acceleration from 2nd and 3rd under hard throttle I get a grinding sound on the P/S front wheel I was thinking either CV Joint or Wheel Bearing. The CV Boot is ripped that I need to fix. Any Ideas from anyone would be great.

Thanks

Jewbin

Old 11-05-2006, 11:33 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Grinding from P/S Front wheel

jack up that wheel so that its off the ground and give it a spin with your hand, listen and see if you hear any rough sound. It could be a wheel bearing, but if it is it should make a noise all the time not just from 2nd to 3rd gear.
Keep in mind the TT is known for a 3rd gear grind at the upper RPM range.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:35 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: JewbinTT

Hey on acceleration from 2nd and 3rd under hard throttle I get a grinding sound on the P/S front wheel I was thinking either CV Joint or Wheel Bearing. The CV Boot is ripped that I need to fix. Any Ideas from anyone would be great.
If the boot has been ripped long, you've likely thrown all the grease out and gotten dirt and sand in the joint. Sounds like you've already ruined the CV joint. Better plan on a new CV joint along with the boot. And don't wait, if that joint seizes you could be in for a lot more damage or worse lose control of the car.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:38 PM
1st Gear

HEY. Thanks. I will try that. Florence right? I dont think its the 3rd gear grind. Keep in mine I'm quattro. It is on hard take off 2nd and 3rd.

Thanks again.

Jewbin

Old 11-05-2006, 11:39 PM
2nd Gear

I just read your post again and saw where you said hard throttle. I would say to cange your tranny fluid, I'm waiting to change mine as soon as Pure Motorsport sends my fluid, been waiting almost 4 weeks... why did I have to order backordered spacers along with it [:@]

*Edit- 2nd and 3rd... hmm XLR might be right about the CV boot.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:41 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: XCLR8TT

ORIGINAL: JewbinTT

If the boot has been ripped long, you've likely thrown all the grease out and gotten dirt and sand in the joint. Sounds like you've already ruined the CV joint. Better plan on a new CV joint along with the boot. r.

When I did my Timing belt I noticed the boot ripped. its been like a week since I did it. I think I will just replace the CV Joint. I did hear the terms inner and outter CV Joints is this true with the TT?

Thanks for the advice.

Jewbin

Old 11-06-2006, 04:05 AM
2nd Gear

Yes there is an inner and an outer on each axle. They can be replaced individually or you can pick up a full axle with the joints on either end.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:10 AM
2nd Gear

What does this tranny fluid do that other "standard brands" dont?

If there are improvements I might be very interested.

Since I just bought my car.

I'm planning in the next couple of months on replacing.

Fuel filter
air filter
cabin filter
tranny fluid
brake fluid
spark plugs

i just changed the oil, however i will be changing that when i do everything else.

any other suggestions? any suggestions on products and why? I remember somewhere that someone suggested different spark plugs because im modded.

any suggestions on which brand?