Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

garage motor oil test

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Default garage motor oil test

alright to put some of this stuff to the test im gonna do some ghetto oil testing. im gonna do the heat test to the oil, pretty much get it so hot it combust and then cool it to see a change. me and some other car geeks did this a while ago and found good results. any feedback or ways to test the oil is greatly appreciated. i think this is a great guage on oil properties considering heat is its biggest enemy. these test will take time to complete as i dont have every oil i want to test in stock. these test are testing there manufacturers claims of "extreme condition testing" and it is not likely that we will ever heat the oil to these temps. i am using high heat to compensate for time.

fist up and just tested is royal purple. ive had this sitting on my shelf for a while now and dont even know how i got it. somebody must have donated it or something. anyways the weight is 10w 30here are the pics the conclusion will be underneath.

here's my assesment

1. Fresh properties looked promising, good viscosity and liked the purple color.
2. after heatingfor 30-40 secondsit defintatly got very thin, this temp is what i would imagine to be operating temp, if so results here are poor. protection is at a minimum. so is pressure.
3. after flaming the life out of it, it spilled the thruth. it broke down to being what felt was thinner than water. (remember this is a tiny amount getting hotter than it should in a car). i think this oil would see a similiar problem on a stock 1.8t after long hours of abuse. (based upon hot oil change experience)
4. this was the real part of this test, after it cooled it was thicker than what we started with. lost that cool purple color. now as i am writing this it has cooled more and is even thicker and darker.but still somewhat fluid. no sludging apparent. but under long term extreme testing i think it will sludge. in the end though i think it is still useable oil. i have drained oil out of cars that looked worst. remember this is much more extreme testing than this oil will ever see in a car.

overall i think i will give this a 7 out of 10. this rating includes a generous correction factor considering i cant do temp test yet. i will be ordering a infra red thermometer from snap on today. i will update this rating as we test more oils to give me a better baseline.

let me know what you guys think about this, these test make sense in my head but i never mind a devils advocate to help me see a factor im not considering. next on the block will be red line oil.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:47 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: garage motor oil test

Awesome!
You may decide to get a timer as well.
That way each brand sees the same amount of heat, OR you could time to see how long each oil takes to flame up!
Still great idea! Flame on! [sm=badbadbad.gif]