Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Future TT Buyer With Questions and Needing Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:44 AM
1st Gear
Default Future TT Buyer With Questions and Needing Advice

Hey everyone, I thought I would get on here and see if I could get some help with some questions I have. I'm looking to buy a 2000 or 2001 TT and I willing to travel great distances to get one. I'm wanting to buy one just as soon as possible and I have one right now that I'm serious about. But I wanted to ask some questions and get as much info as I can before I start dealing with a dealership. What are some of the specific concerns that I should be sure to inquire about on the car? I know that I need to ask for service records, but what should I ask about if they don't have any records? And if they do have records, what should I be looking for on them? If there is no record of the timing belt or coils being replaced, should I ask that they both replaced before I purchase the car? This is my first Audi and I'm not as familiar with the 1.8 so any help you're able to provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Default RE: Future TT Buyer With Questions and Needing Advice

the FAQ is your friend.

best of luck!! =)

Old 06-16-2008, 12:18 PM
1st Gear

Yeah I've been through that section and a lot of what I saw are very specific. I was looking for a more broad selection of things that I should ask about and look for. I've talked with a Audi service manager and he said that timing belt, waterpump, CVs, front suspension linkage upper part are things that should be checked out first. Anything else that I might be overlooking?

I'm really not wanting to do any kind of tuning and the car will only be used for a daily driver. So am I really going to run into a bunch of mechanical issues? Is this evena good choice for a daily driver?

Old 06-16-2008, 12:25 PM

well, my advice on the basics is:

timing belt service @ 60k.

full tune-up @ 70k

check instrument cluster for failures

check for creaking sounds in the front end- your front sway bushing may need replacement

check coilpacks

VAGCOM scan for error codes

ummm.... thats about it. anyone else wanna chime in here??

Old 06-16-2008, 12:29 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the advice Scott. I got a CARFAX on it and the previous owner took it to a dealership for service on the instrument cluster already. So hopefully there won't be any more issues with that.

What about my question about whether it's a good choice of vehicle for a daily driver?

Old 06-16-2008, 12:55 PM

ive had mine (01 225 quattro coupe) for about a year and a half, and have driven 30,000 miles in that time. only problem ive had so far is the alternator went, but it was gradual. the TT never left me stranded. i paid for the TB change and im doing the 70K tuneup right now. all my other expenses on my car have been mods. its been reliable as hell for me.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:42 PM
2nd Gear

I think they are better choices for a daily driver, since maintance is very expensive on these cars

Old 06-16-2008, 03:59 PM
1st Gear

Mine has been a daily driver since I got it roughly 40k miles ago its been driven from NC to OR and back after a 14 month sitting period and I've never had a problem with the car its now at 99k miles.

But now to factor in stupid people in the first year of ownership it was keyed 3 times dented twice and had the fasteners for the skid plate removed and to top it all off it had 3 outta 4 subframe bolts removed which made for a nice near wreck the next morning but since I got my glock security system and made it well known to the people living near me my car has not been touched.

Summary: As long as you take care of it it will be a great DD just beware of haterz
Name:  l_3d672f72e22c055be9ce246c235f8f9f.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  25.0 KB

Old 06-16-2008, 05:10 PM
1st Gear

I need to invest in one of these "security systems"as well

Old 06-16-2008, 07:20 PM
2nd Gear

I learned that lesson on previous cars....

Quick Reply: Future TT Buyer With Questions and Needing Advice