Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Future driver with a few questions on the TT and buying used.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 02:15 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Future driver with a few questions on the TT and buying used.

Well after looking through more used cars on cars.com... Theres just nothing else that seems worth it. Other cars arent without their problems either, so I'd be doing maintenance work regardless of what car I get. Plus, the TT is one of the only cars that really look good in its stock form to me. With other cars, I'd end up buying body kits to make em look good anyway. So I think I'm really set on getting a TT, just need more info on it now.

Of course, things could get real screwy for me and many things can change in 2-4 years TBH so.. who knows.

Oh and one more thing, how long does it even take people to rack up 60,000 miles? Id have to do 7500 round trips to my school to even get that much lol.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:54 AM
1st Gear

Hey, I feel ya on this...

It's tough to decide, with the TT being such an attractive car and being the right size for a younger guy with no family to haul around. But I can imagine NYC being a clusterf*** and I'd be nervous having a nice car when I'm just learning to drive and deal with the aggressive driving NYC is famous for. You may also think about other things, like having a payment when you think about getting your own place or having the payment when you're in college.

You could get a decent beater for a few Gs, save for the TT and when you finally get it (or another nice ride) it will have been worth the wait. Chances are the car will have a happier life with a driver who has a few years experience driving in the real world. I'm glad I waited or I would have a slow GTI

Old 01-27-2008, 11:46 AM
2nd Gear

just buy a scion or something cheep that doesen't matter if the rims get scrached up and stuff like that. People average 12k miles per year.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:05 PM
2nd Gear

Honestly, the TT is my first car, got it a few months after i turned 19.
5 years of summer jobs give a decent amount of cash,
I do all the maintenance i can myself.
Insurance DOES suck however, if i wouldn't have my dad as a primary driver of my car I would not be able to pay for it.

if you can afford it, go for it. I love this car to death, i'm sure you won't regret it.
people who tell you its a bad first car are just jealous.

I get a lot of "check out the spoiled little F*&^" looks,
but those people are just jealous or don't know the backstory to my car.
I din't know too many people that were saving up for a car when i started to. (read: none)

Old 01-27-2008, 12:11 PM
1st Gear

lol yea now I feel stupid for asking my friend 2 years back, why he started saving for a car so early (hes into mustangs). Well if its 12k a year and the timing belt needs to be replaced every 60k miles, thats not tooo bad, and I would probably average even less than 12k a year seeing as how you dont have to go too far in NYC to find something.

What other things need replacing/maintenance? I read some stuff about the waterpump being bad as it has a plastic impellor? Also something about the oil pump... but that may have just been a single guy's bad luck.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:10 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: MeanAudiA6
the manual tranny is tough and the car will stall if you dont press in the clutch when braking. anytime you press in the clutch it is seperated from the flywheel thus being in a neutral state
You can brake without stepping on the clutch/stalling... Just can't come to a complete stop/let the RPMS hit 0.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:30 PM
3rd Gear

you honestly think he wasnt talking about coming to a complete stop? maybe i assume too much

Old 01-27-2008, 01:58 PM
1st Gear

I meant both actually, just slowing and stopping. Since I'd be doing both while crawling in traffic, along with turning. Hearing that you can slow down with only the brake makes me feel better. Thanks to both of you :P

Old 01-27-2008, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

I bought my son a 2001 AWD TT with 80 thousand miles....he is sixteen on a learners and gets hislicense next month; look for rotor replacement at 80 thousand,changed timing belt,tensioner - do the water pump while your are it thetiming belt routes through it. Changed Alternator belt andtensioner. I was able to do do this myself but an Audi repair shop wanted 1,000 just in labor for what I did. I bought all my spares at rockauto.com for reasonable prices. The clutch for now seems ok....;my son learned to drive stick in this vehicle (I.8);if you buy used try to buy a one owner car, Would stay away from modded ones as the AWD drive takes its toll on a high mileage TTs.I agree with the consensus, if you cann't work on the car it's not a good starter car.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:57 PM
1st Gear

You need any special tools to do all of that? Is there a guide anywhere to help out, or should i just get that bentley manual and go from there..

Quick Reply: Future driver with a few questions on the TT and buying used.