Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Future driver with a few questions on the TT and buying used.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 07:48 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Future driver with a few questions on the TT and buying used.

impossible to fit two people back there unless they are midgets.....one person can lay across both seats

Old 01-26-2008, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

Well my ex could fit back there... 4'11, although I might get in trouble for not having her in a child's seat >.> lol

Oh and tbh my biggest fear right now is having the car stolen in NYC... Im not really in the best of neighborhoods, not bad either but an Audi would stick out quite a bit.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:59 PM
1st Gear

If you buy a 2000 or 2001, make absolutely sure the instrument cluster has been replaced, or allow about $800 to have it done. It will eventually fail.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:12 PM
1st Gear

Ehh newb with cars here. Where/what exactly is the instrument cluster, and what signs of failure should I keep an eye out for? (I feel stupid for asking such questions, but bleh I gotta learn somehow)

EDIT: Nevermind, looked on google and it is what I thought it was. The speedometer, tach, basically all the stuff on that part of the dash.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:51 PM
2nd Gear

A tt for your first car? heh. Audi's are the most $$ to maintain of any cars. I hope you are finkidding. I highly suggest you buy some used beater. Trust me, for your first car, it is totaly worth getting a beater. I know they suck, but how are you going to feel when your $$$ car gets dented and scrached as you learn how to drive? I hope you plan to have a great job at 18 to spend $1K+ on maintance PLUS repairs. Why even look for cars 2 years in advance???

Old 01-27-2008, 12:05 AM
1st Gear

Looking for cars in advance so I can do more research and set realistic goals. Better than starting research the month I decide to get a car then end up screwing myself over.

Starting to think I should stick with a used maxima or lancer, but those arent even that much cheaper than a used 2000-04 TT =.= That part really bugs me. But I guess they actually are a lot cheaper in the long run. For now, I'll just keep researching all choices I have in mind.

EDIT: ok maybe they are a lot cheaper... but still, a TT doesnt seem tooo far out of reach :\ I just love the interior of a TT compared to other cars. I do see what you guys mean by the expensive maintenance though.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:23 AM
2nd Gear

Question the wisdom of a TT for a first car. If I was your father, I would want you to have more padding, and less power. You would be a popular kid with a TT though.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:40 AM
1st Gear

Hah, I could care less about that popularity crap tbh. I just want a nice car, something I'd be proud to say I have, something I'd love to be in. Wow that sounded a bit cheesy.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:02 AM
1st Gear

In all honesty, speaking from experience, I wouldn't do it - but it's ultimately for you to decide.

Insurance: Contact State Farm. When I was 16 I paid $165/month for the TT. State Farm had the most reasonable prices and they give you large discounts if you're a good student, have taken Drivers Ed, and also fill out their "young driver's" packet. Your rate will be higher - I had an extra discount because other family members used State Farm.

Manual: It can be annoying but you get used to it. NYC is a whole other story, though...

Back seat: Fits females only. I saw this as a good thing.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:20 AM
2nd Gear

go for it, I'm 19 and have had my TT since I was 17... yes it has been a pain to pay for all the little things going wrong but its all worth it, even on its darkest days I love the car to death. I can only imagine how much more I'm going to love it with an extra 100+hp at the wheels this summer!!

Quick Reply: Future driver with a few questions on the TT and buying used.