Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Future driver with a few questions on the TT and buying used.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 04:45 PM
1st Gear
Default Future driver with a few questions on the TT and buying used.

Ok well I recently turned 16 and I'm now starting to look into and research different types of cars. However, I dont actually plan on getting a car for atleast another 2 or more years. Right now, I'm just rolling around on different car forums trying to figure out what make and model I want to focus my research on. So I have a few questions about the TT.

Let me start by saying I searched and found two other threads on this, read them, and also read the FAQ up top. Anyway,

- I read about the timing belt needing to be replaced every 60k miles. So this costs approx. $1,000 right? What are the signs that it needs replacing? Do I need to be worried at all before the car has even hit 60k miles?

- What exactly makes the TT a bad beginner's car, or a bad car to learn to drive with? Would I be fine as long as I dont go crazy speeding? (probably wouldnt even have a chance to in NYC anyway)
At this point I really like the fact that the TT is fairly affordable (used) and has AWD, a small turbo, along with a great interior; so I'd really like to get it as a first since I dont want have to get two cars (one to start with, then the Audi)

- Other than the timing belt, what would I need to look out for in terms of maintenance?

- I see a lot of 2000-2004 Audi TT quattros out there with around 50-80k miles (one even 30k...) for only around $12-15k, seems a bit too good to be true... Am I being paranoid or is there really something I should look out for?

- Also, should I just spend a little more for a used TT with less mileage so I dont need to replace as much off the bat? or would it be just about the same as getting one with 50-60k miles.

- Oh and would it be a tight fit for a guy my size? I'm 5'9" and fairly bulky at 214lbs (not fat though, so dont imagine me as wide as the car itself )

Sorry if thats a ton of questions, and sorry again if they were already answered somewhere else. Just trying to do some research here so I dont screw myself or get in over my head. Also, this is all assuming I'll have a decent job by the time I buy the car. So even if I dont have much money at 18-20, I'd be willing to wait a while until I can afford to buy and properly maintain the car.

Oh and heres something completely unrelated, but I've been wondering about one thing on manuals... How much of a pain in the *** is it to reverse slowly or crawl along in traffic? And what happens if you ever brake without using the clutch/going in neutral?

EDIT: I'll be grateful for any help you can give, I'd just like to get as much info as possible. So if you can answer even one question, that'd be great. I'd also like to hear anything else that you guys think I should know.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:27 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Future driver with a few questions on the TT and buying used.

unless your on your parents insurance good luck paying for that...its the most expensive(highest rated) that my company insures...so be warned there...its a great car but no where near cheap...if i didnt do all my own maintence i couldnt have afforded this car...i;ve had mine for about 1.5 yrs and love it. the timing belt is no joke though...if you buy one with over 60k make that your first thing you do. the manual tranny is tough and the car will stall if you dont press in the clutch when braking. anytime you press in the clutch it is seperated from the flywheel thus being in a neutral state

Old 01-26-2008, 06:04 PM
1st Gear

Ah thought thats what would happen, just wanted to make sure lol.

And yea hadnt thought much about the insurance. My parents also dont even drive =.= so im on my own there. Just gotta wait and see how I'll be financially in a few years.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:06 PM

ORIGINAL: MeanAudiA6

unless your on your parents insurance good luck paying for that...its the most expensive(highest rated) that my company insures...so be warned there...its a great car but no where near cheap...if i didnt do all my own maintence i couldnt have afforded this car...i;ve had mine for about 1.5 yrs and love it. the timing belt is no joke though...if you buy one with over 60k make that your first thing you do. the manual tranny is tough and the car will stall if you dont press in the clutch when braking. anytime you press in the clutch it is seperated from the flywheel thus being in a neutral state
My 04' TT is actually cheaper to insure than my 02' Toyota Corolla. Of course, I am 34 though :-) The Corolla's Liability is more expensive than the TT's, but the TT's collision is more expensive than the Corolla's, but when you add them together....the Corolla is more expensive LOL. My 08' Toyota Sienna is cheaper than them all....LOL makes no sense.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:10 PM
1st Gear

O_o lol, how much do you pay?

Also, how much do you guys think I'd have to pay for insurance as a 18yo in NYC (or any urban area) with a TT?

Old 01-26-2008, 06:23 PM

ORIGINAL: AznDVL

O_o lol, how much do you pay?

Also, how much do you guys think I'd have to pay for insurance as a 18yo in NYC (or any urban area) with a TT?
I pay about $1600 per year, or about $140 a month for 3 cars, but I am married, 34, own my own house, etc etc....

Your rate will vary depending on your driving history and age. Your age is going to be a killer. You should be thankful you don't live in Michigan...they get F'd with insurance.If you live inMichigan and get into an accident you pay for your own car no matter if it's your fault or not....not very fair if you ask me...since it ups everyone's rates.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:49 PM
3rd Gear

21 with a pretty clean record....one motorcycle speeing ticket which was BS ...anyways...mine is 135 or month or $750 every 6 months

Old 01-26-2008, 06:57 PM
1st Gear

So I guess getting a TT is do-able if I get a decent job.

Anyway, can you guys help out with some of my other questions? Im really curious about how much space you have inside the audi. Like how big/tall are you and do you feel cramped at all?

Old 01-26-2008, 07:07 PM
3rd Gear

5.11 and 170lbs feels great...lots of space upfront no space in the back...might as well remove the back seats like i did...saves weight and looks cool....also the stereo sound is much better without those seats.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:17 PM
1st Gear

lol, not too worried about the back seats. Just gonna leave them in so my friends can follow me around, too bad if they feel squished

Quick Reply: Future driver with a few questions on the TT and buying used.