Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

front license bracket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 08:16 PM
1st Gear
Default front license bracket?

Got a fix-it ticket yesterday, have to put my front license plate on. Any ideas on how to do this without drilling the virgin bumper (no jokes please)? I was thinking of a bracket that would attach to the bottom grille & come out & around the painted part of the bumper...

Old 02-14-2007, 08:20 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: front license bracket?

The bumper is some kinda plastic... it won't rust.
What are you worried about anyway, it's not like you'll be able to see the holes (at least not if you do it right).

Old 02-14-2007, 08:24 PM

Double sided tape.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:32 PM
2nd Gear

Magnets.... really, I've done it.License Plate Mount

Old 02-14-2007, 08:37 PM

Steve, that's brilliant!

Old 02-14-2007, 08:38 PM
I'm make believe

here in ohio your suppose to have them on the front also. I still have no front and will not put one on the front (maybe a europlate). Both of my older brothers in the past have gotten tickets for them. My arguement is how many corvettes have them? Maybe 20-30% so why should i put one on. Plus no one is drilling in my car, unless im putting on a spoiler that gives me some downforce.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:49 PM
2nd Gear

I wish I could take credit for it, but I can't. I do like it however. I just keep my plate in the back and throw it on when I am going to be on the road somewhere I am likely to draw attention.

It's really easy to do. I spent a couple of hours one afternoon putting it together. Just watch out, those niodium magnets are strong. I was holding one in my hand and moved over the top of another and it jumped off the table and snapped onto the one I was holding and gave me a nasty blood blister.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:22 PM
1st Gear

The magnet setup if very cool! Now I need an OEM plate mount...

Old 02-14-2007, 09:52 PM
5th Gear

I have one, I think... If I can find it and its in decent shape still, I'll let you know.

You're supposed to have a front plate here in NY too, but I figure all those vette guys can get away with it, so can I. To make it a little less obvious I had shaved, and painted the front bumper at the same time as painting and installing the diffuser I had on the rear.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:41 PM
1st Gear

I am in the final stages of the magnetic plate mount - which I learned about on this forum..not the thread that is linked, but definitely the same idea. I ended up using 75 lb. pull magnets, with just a smaller one behind the bumper insert, (depth considerations - probably could use a steel plate in there as well).

I bought a new bumper insert - $80, and had it painted for about $70. The magnets aren't cheap, and ditto on the safe handling. The ones I have will attract their mates from well over 18" away and when they come together it's not going to be a good thing. I shatterd two of 'em and got a blood blister out of it as well. Check this link for magnets Magnet Supplier

Quick Reply: front license bracket?