Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Flywheel Data Collection

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 12:36 AM
Default Flywheel Data Collection

After having my stupid local Audi change my clutch 3 times and messing my car worse every time, i decided to get a friend and do the job myself and in the way upgrade the Flywheel and clutch. This happened a few months ago. I got the following:

Spec clutch Stage 3 six spoke (ordered a sprung one, got an unsprung)
Asco aluminum flywheel at 9 lbs.

As you can guess this setup rattles or chatters or better said chatters and rattles A LOT! idle rpms are at 1350 rpm for it to dissapear the noise, however the sound is coming back again after a few months, actually near a year now. Also clutch grabbing is terrible and very hard to shift some days (car has cranky and a happy days). Oh! and when your letting the clutch out at the light the WONDERFUL scream of metal grinding has started this month and you have to treat it like a baby so it doesnt make the sound.

Why didnt you send back the clutch you ask? I live in Puerto Rico, shipping is like ...well lets leave it at that before i get banned for language abuse. How does the car drive? well when i can force my gear changes it runs fast, err very swift the efficiency gained is outstanding, but if you can't shift nicely it is frustrating.

Now! please post if you have done a flywheel and clutch change that does not produce a sound from hell machine, i would like to return my car to normal idle since i believe the high idle rpm may be affecting the first two gears engagement.
Also my car is currently in the 300+ lb trq. range and a possible agressive tunning if i get the rattle sound problem fixed.
Please post the specific clutch and flywheel combo with a sound scale of 1 to 5 with no radio a/c fan at 1 line, 1 being absolutely no sound, 3 a rattle like something mechanical is heard but not broken and 5 being the sound that something is wrong with your car dude! and people stare at your car and would probably comment on it until they saw your red devil eyes of fury.
This should also help people decide and avoid clutch/flywheel mistake purchases.

thanks for reading even if you dont post.

Spec stage 3 + Aasco 9 lb. aluminum flywheel = 5

Old 11-29-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Flywheel Data Collection

1) you got a spec clutch
2) you installed the unsprung disc
3) you went with a 9lb fw

The light *** fw is the reason for the massive rattle and probably not agood enoughmatch for your spec pressure plate. As for the shifting, you installed the unsrung disc. Those are not really intended for street driving.

Your 2 main options are replacing it or living with it. Plus a stg3 clutch is over kill for 300tq. A stage 2 or 2+ with a sprung solid disc would of been 1000000000000000X better.