Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

First post and question about wind bocker

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 02:50 AM
1st Gear
Default First post and question about wind bocker

Hey everyone... just bought a 2001 TT Roadster and LOVE IT! Would really rather have had the coupe, but this was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up.

Question... when the top is down and I flip the switch to bring up the glass wind blocker you can hear it come up a little, and you can see it come up to the edge of the enclosure it's in, then it stops and won't go anywhere. You can reverse it back down, then try to bring it back up again, but it stops in the same place each time.

Anyone have any idea what's going on??? Where to check if there is a bind? Seems like it may be tough to get to the motor for it. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!!!

Old 12-25-2006, 03:50 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: First post and question about wind bocker

i also have a roadster and i have no idea what that "wind blocker" is. is that the little switch next to the top up and down switch? what does this do?

Old 12-26-2006, 02:37 PM
1st Gear

Yeah... it's the switch at the back end of the center console, behind the top up/down switch. It should raise/lower the glass wind blocker or deflector behind the seats. It will only do so when the top is down.

When I flip mine I can hear it try and raise, and I can see the top of the glass come to the tip of the shroud it's in, but then it stops and won't go any further. Someone mentioned on AudiWorld forums they'll probably just end up ripping the guts of the unit out and permenantly putting in a plexi screen... sounds like a fun (and complicated) project!

Old 12-26-2006, 04:16 PM
5th Gear

I have a coupe, so I have no idea how the mechanics of the windscreen works, but I'd guess theres a force switch, like the windows. Exceed whatevervalue it activates at, and it won't let the window move. I'd start with checking for things binding, and while in there, lube some moving parts, most likely with a white lithium spray grease.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:38 AM
1st Gear

The wind deflector is driven by a "screw" on one side link bya strap to the other side. Your strap is probably broken which is why you can ear the screw going but the glass does not come up.
I have the same issue on mine.
Audi wants to replace the hole unit and charge $1,200 saying it come in one assembly. So when I will have the time i will search the scrap yard for a replacement part and do it my self

Old 11-18-2007, 09:22 AM
2nd Gear

It appears in the ETKA that there are several components with part numbers. There is one for the entire assembly the individual parts have numbers so they should be available. The images are too large to post here, but I've put them in my Fotki site. Just click on the links.

Exploded view

Parts List

Old 11-18-2007, 12:13 PM
2nd Gear

good luck with the fix, congrats on the car, although I am in vermont and its freezing here, still glad I got a convertible for the other ~8 months of the eyar when its not subartic. is yours a 6spd 225/quattro? Color?

Old 11-18-2007, 02:41 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info I will check the audi parts.