Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Few questions for current TT owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 05:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Few questions for current TT owners

So, i'm currently looking into my first Audi...ever.

Found a 2003 TT with 90k miles on it but noticed a few issues with the vehicle and i'm wondering if it's worth the trade. He is asking $8500 for it or trade for a "truck that can tow a boat."

First, the messenger window (between tach and odo) is unreadable. Seems like only a few of the pixles are actually working. Current owner of the vehicle says it's an $80 part at the dealership. Any truth to that? Is it something i could install myself? I'm not a certified mechanic or anything but i have built (from the ground up) a number of turbo motors (honda/acura) in my younger days.

Any other things i should be cautious about?
I know the timing belt and water pump havent been done and that will be done within the first week if i decide to go through with the trade (out of my pocket).
He is also including a new set of brake pads for the car. He says there's nothing currently wrong with them except they squeak (metalic pads). I'll confirm this as they do squeak like metalic pads, not like the metal tab that reminds you the pads need to be changed. Rotors all have even wear on them, no obvious hot spots or cracks.
Oil was changed yesterday with Castrol Syntec, unsure of previous oil change mileage/date.

Any more information you guys can tell me and or advise me of to look for would be greatly appreciated. Like i said i know some things about vehicles but this will be my first Audi. I know about timing belts and water pumps needing to be changed every 50-60k miles, and oil changes and all that, but any other things that might need servicing that are different than other vehicles?

The trade would be for my 2000 Silverado extended cab with 7" lift. Truck has 186k miles on it, but runs great. Intake/exhaust/headers/etc installed. Only reason im really thinking about getting rid of it is because i drive 2 hours one way 3 days a week and the gas mileage isn't that great. KBB value on my truck is $7700. Trade would be straight across, no cash on top.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm make believe

The LCD screen suck. If you dont mind electrical work you probably could do it. It's about $300 to have one rebuilt online.

At that age and miles you will probably start wanting to go looking for worn out bushings, bearings, and tie rod ends. Most of them are cheap and easy to replace. Also the pcv system hoses wear and can leak/rip along with vac lines needing changed. So a good once over and a few cheap parts should keep you running well.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:33 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by cincyTT
The LCD screen suck. If you dont mind electrical work you probably could do it. It's about $300 to have one rebuilt online.

At that age and miles you will probably start wanting to go looking for worn out bushings, bearings, and tie rod ends. Most of them are cheap and easy to replace. Also the pcv system hoses wear and can leak/rip along with vac lines needing changed. So a good once over and a few cheap parts should keep you running well.
Yeah i've been doing some more research on the screens. Local shop wants $700 to fix it, saw on ebay a listing for someone to rebuild it for $350, think i'll go with the second option...i know some about wiring (i do car stereos on the side) but i'm thinking i'm just going to let the expert deal with it.

That's good to hear it's just the same things as every other vehicle at this age/mileage. Thanks for the help.

Can i also get the folowing questions answered?

Oil - Synthetic only? Change every 3-5k miles? How many quarts does it take?
Transmission fluid - What type? Every 70k miles?
Diff. fluid - What type? Every 70k miles?
P.S. fluid - What type? Just top off?
Coolant - What type? (i've heard pink or purple)
Gas - 91 only? (i live in california so no 93+ available)
Brake fluid - Special type? Just top off and bleed everytime brakes are worked on?
Clutch fluid - Special type? Just top off and bleed anytime transmission work is done?
Can brake fluid act as clutch fluid like it can with hondas/acuras?
Any parts (other than wheels) that can be swapped from other audi's for better performance/gas mileage? (ex. Brakes from integra onto civic, or integra motor into civic)
What can the STOCK motor handle hp wise RELIABLY (as a daily driver). I know about the "Fast, cheap, or reliable. Pick two" saying, goes with turbo hondas as well.
Turbo - How many miles until it needs servicing/rebuild? (never had any of my turbo honda/acuras long enough to need service of the turbo)

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-31-2011, 10:17 AM
I'm make believe

Oil needs to be 5w40 or 0w40. You can go 5-7k on good syn oil. Take ~5qts
Coolant is g12 or g12+ other coolant or additives can gel
Brake fluid just needs to be dot 4. Nothing special.
Rest of the fluids need to be specific and can be found on OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning

Some parts from mkiv vw's can be swapped. Depends on the part.
Motor will do about 300 hp/tq then it needs new rods.
Turbo can last 150k miles easy or more if the car is taken care of.they are reliable if not overspun

Old 09-01-2011, 12:26 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by cincyTT
Oil needs to be 5w40 or 0w40. You can go 5-7k on good syn oil. Take ~5qts
Coolant is g12 or g12+ other coolant or additives can gel
Brake fluid just needs to be dot 4. Nothing special.
Rest of the fluids need to be specific and can be found on OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning

Some parts from mkiv vw's can be swapped. Depends on the part.
Motor will do about 300 hp/tq then it needs new rods.
Turbo can last 150k miles easy or more if the car is taken care of.they are reliable if not overspun
Thanks for the info!

What kind of parts are we talking about from the mkiv?

Old 09-03-2011, 08:18 PM
1st Gear

If it's a convertible check the top. Especially the rear window. When (not IF, when) the window leaks it will ruin the control module that's hidden beneath the window.

People will try to seal the window to stop the leak. Look for any signs of a homemade repair of the rear window.

That module costs about about $700.00 -$900.00. (since mine was damaged by a leak my insurance paid for it.)

New top was about $1700.00 installed.

Hope this helps.

Good luck

Old 09-04-2011, 10:44 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all the info guys.

It's a hard top.

I ended up picking it up. Car is going into the shop this next week for a tb/wp, both front cv axles, new brakes (warped), and get the cluster fixed. Been driving it around for 3 or 4 days now, no regrets so far.

One thing (VERY MINOR) is that the passenger window will go down slightly while driving, then go back up. Similar to how it goes down a little bit when you open the door. Wondering if it might be a bad door trigger or door sensor or what...Anyone have ideas? Haven't noticed if it does it while parked or not yet. It will be getting checked out as well when it goes into the shop but i'd like to have an idea prior to it going in...

Thanks again in advance!

Old 09-06-2011, 03:18 PM
I'm make believe

Its most likely the sensor. My GF's bug has an issue with her drivers door and the lights will turn on and off while driving and it will relock itself even if you open the drivers door unless you put the keys in the ignition in about 30 secs.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:54 PM
1st Gear

timing belt is most important since it is an interference fit engine, redline fluids everywhere but haldex if its a quattro, MT-90 makes a manual shift BETTER!!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:47 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by stuck amals
If it's a convertible check the top. Especially the rear window. When (not IF, when) the window leaks it will ruin the control module that's hidden beneath the window.

What module is beneath the window? The ABS Control module?
The convertible I am getting has a leaking rear window but its being 'fixed' at the dealer.....with epoxy I imagine.
Any recommendations on how to see if water has done any damage?

Thanks!!

Last edited by EmbraceEphemeral; 01-13-2012 at 08:52 PM.