Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

FAQ AND BASIC TT INFO

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:44 AM
3rd Gear
Default FAQ AND BASIC TT INFO

I am putting together a FAQ and basic TT info thread to help the new people that come to the TT find some answers. These are some of the answers to the most frequently asked questions to modding you TT. This is also my first big post so bear with me. There are put here as a guide to what works and what does not. The statements below are facts that have been tried and tested by many. Also the thinks below are to be considered useful information on a few places and companies that offer products for the TT. If there is something that is not covered here that you would like information on, SEARCH for it first. If you happen to not find any answers then go ahead and post your question and someone will get to it shortly.

Before we get into the questions and answers, lets go over some basic info about the Audi TT. This thread is going to cover the MK1 version of the TT (99-06) only. Its by no means is to shun the MK2 version, its just that the majority of TT owners own a MK1 version. Audi made two different versions of the TT for these years. They devloped a 180hp model and a 225hp model.

The 180hp model is different from the 225 in the fact that is has a single exhaust, and a single intercooler. It uses a smaller turbo and a higher compression engine. The 180 was offered in a 5spd and a automatic tranny.

The 225hp model is different in the fact that is has dual exhaust tips and dual intercoolers. It uses a slightly larger turbo and a lower compression engine. The 225 was offered in a 6spd manual.

Both cars are offered in Quattro or "AWD" They use the Haldex AWD system that is shared with VW's R32. Both come in either a coupe or a convertible dependent on what year it was made.

Both use a 1.8L Turbocharged 4cyl engine, that is shared with VW. Be careful some things that work with VW will not work for a TT, and visa versa. Just do some research and find out what works and what does not.

*Link to Audiforum lingo and vocabulary*
https://www.audiforums.com/m_6320/tm.htm

Ok so to start of with the questions and answers

Q. What should I do to my TT first?
A. Make sure that your TT is in good working order. Everything that works does and that it is free of leaks, both liquid and air leaks. When you modd on top of this engine and something is bad or going bad you will find out really quickly and may end up spending more that you had originally planned on spending. A little basic maintence and you will be good to go.

Q. How do I keep the dealership from stealing all my money?
A. Invest in a Vag-Com and a Bently CD repair maual. These two together along with the forums will help you take care of all the small minor problems that mayoccur with the TT, and save you thousands literaly. If something major is wrong with your TT then you will need to take it in and have a pro look at your car. Even if you do not know that much about mechanics, it will save you money and you can learn more about this beautiful car.
www.ross-tech.com

Q. My TT is in good working order, now what?
A. Most everyone will agree that a chip is the best route to take for you TT. Its the best bang for your buck. Dont think about Ebay chips what you pay for is what you will get. Most start around 500 dollars and go up from there depending on what you want. Most companies allow you to swich between programs, so when you take it into the dealership they can not tell that it has been chipped. Major chip dealers are APR, Giac, and REVO. Each dealer has its pros and cons just check them out.
www.goapr.com www.giacusa.com www.revotechnik.com
Check out each dealer and remember that you may want to go with one that has a dealer close to where you live just in case you run into any problems.

Q.Should I buy a boost gauge? Where can I find a A pillar gauge pod?
A. YES, and good luck. Along with a chip you should go out and purchase a boost gauge. There is no other way to determin what you engine and turboare doing. There are a few ways to mount your gauges. No company make a A pillar gauge for the TT. The closest is a A pillar gauge pod from a Toyota Supra. You will have to heat it with a blowdryer to try to get it to fit. Some have been able to do this and some have not. You can mount your boost gauge in the vent of your choice due to a few companies and their kits. You can also mount it due to Steve's vent gauge ring adaptor from Modshack. Check out these sites and figure out what works for you.
www.awe-tuning.com www.modshack.info www.ttstuff.com

Q.What BOV will work with my car?
A. [sm=chairshot.gif]Ask this question and you may get flamed. Dont know what that is ask and find out. No, seriously the TT was not designed to work with a BOV. It uses a divertion valve instead, companies like Forge and Stratmosphere make very reliable DVs for the TT. You may want to make sure that your DV that you get, you can "tune" so in the future when you run higher boost it will be able to hold it and you can get the max performance out of you turbo. *You will need a new DV after chipping your TT* The stock one will most likely go out due to its OEM design. There are a couple of BOV that willwork with the TT. These are"dual"BOVs meaning thattheyvent both into the intake and intooutside air.One oftheseisHKS Super SequentialBOV. I am not sure of others.
www.forgemotorsport.com www.stratmosphere.com www.hksusa.com

Q. What about intakes?
A. There are manydifferentstyles of intakes for the TT. You can go out and slap aK & Npanelfilter in your air box, stick a high flowing intake on your MAF,or purchasemore elaborate intakes. Neuspeed makes a good intake,most TTowners have gone with theVTDA or TTDA from Modshack. These areproven and work well.Look around for different intakes and get one that you like. Some members say that you should get a "oil-less' filter because oil may build up on the MAF and cause you to have to clean it or replace it later on. Many have run "oiled" filters and have not yet had any problems.
www.neuspeed.com www.modshack.info.

Q.What about exhausts and dowpipes?
A. There arealotof companiesthat make exhausts for the TT. There are also a few companies that make dowpipes for the 180. The 225 however is much different and the onlycompany thatmakes one is 42 draft designs. As for exhaustBorla,APR, Milltek, andBlueflame. These are just a few there are many more. Check them out and find outone that you like and works for you. Be careful on the downpipes for the 180 from Ebay these have been know to be hit or miss and may require some fabrication work. Also you may want to check out ATP's VES.
www.goapr.com www.borla.com www.atpturbo.com www.stratmosphere.com

Q. Are there any major mechaincal problems with the TT.
A. Notthe TT, but rather the 1.8T engine.The timing belt should be changed out around 60k miles.The dealer states that it is good forover 100k miles but the water pump was made with a plastic impeller and my break causing thousands in damage. You cando it yourself or have the dealership do it also.Most membersstate that it should be done after 60k, as thatis wheremany have started to have problems. Again its just a suggestion, but better to be safethan sorry.
www.ecstuning.com www.dieselgeek.com

Q. How much boost can I run in my TT?
A. Here is a rule of thumb:
Stock 225: 17-18psi
Chipped 225: 22-23 psi
Stock 180: 14 psi
Chipped 180: 18 psi

Q. Can I increase boost without getting a chip?
A.Yes, you can run a manual boost controller but you will need to get a diode in order to trick the ecuand then you canrun up to 14.7psi or else youecu will go into limp mode. Limpmodeis where the ecu will not allow anymore than 5psi.Check out the vw forums for more information as many of them have had done this, with good results.

Q. What about FMICs?
A.There are three major companies that makeintercoolers for the TT. Forge, APR, and O.CT make big intercoolers but it will cost you over 1k for them. TCarbonmakes a FMICbut itlooks smaller.There are rumors around that itperformsjust as well and it isalmost half the cost.
www.forgemotorsport.comwww.goapr.comwww.stratmophere.com www.tcarbon.com

*A few other links to check out*
www.audiworld.com/forums
http://forums.vwvortex.com(Has both 1.8T and TT sites)
http://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1389261.phtml(This may be hard to read but it is very useful once you get used to it)
www.thettshop.com(has most body kits that are ever made for the TT)

There may be more FAQ this is all that I have thought of for now, other members please feel free to post, with your answers and ideas.

And I will leave you with my final thoughts, remember that this is your TT, take care of it, have fun. Who cares what someone else thinks about your car, as long as you are happy and you car is running well then its all good.

Good luck![sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 01-31-2007, 12:54 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: FAQ AND BASIC TT INFO

The AudiWorld FAQ is pretty detailed and can answer a LOT of questions, but it isn't a straight basic FAQ like you're trying to start, and you have to sift through it if you're looking for something specific.

So cheers mate... off to a good start!

Old 01-31-2007, 01:05 PM
1st Gear

I would like to see you edit and elaborate on the "diode" statement, since you mentioned it after the chip it could be cause for confusion..

Old 01-31-2007, 01:33 PM
I'm make believe

this statement?
You can run a manual boost controller but you will need to get a diode, check out the vw forums for more information as many of them have had done this, with good results. Most TTowners save up for the Modshack stage III.

You do not need a diode to increase boost on a chipped car. The diode is for a nonchipped car to get above 14.7psi without throwing it into limp. For a chipped car the diodecan be used instead of a boost controller to raise the boost by tricking the ecu and also somechip manuf can cause problems after a certain point and the throttle will close.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:12 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the info and looking out, let me know if that works?

Old 01-31-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm make believe

not to sound like a dick butwhy would you compare a diode and mbc to increase boost and buying a modshackintake **** and boostvalve? A diode is a cheap way to get an increase in power until you have money for a chip or have other things you need to buy first.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm make believe

posted x2

Old 01-31-2007, 03:32 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

not to sound like a dick butwhy would you compare a diode and mbc to increase boost and buying a modshackintake **** and boostvalve? A diode is a cheap way to get an increase in power until you have money for a chip or have other things you need to buy first.
No I undersand I was throwing in a product that was for chipped cars, along with something that is for non-chipped cars, I took that out, but you can use the boost machine on a non-chipped car also, its just that it works better with a chipped one. Understood, no offense taken.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm make believe

you can also get great info from the FAQ 1.8t forum on vwvortex. That thread has what you listed to displacement and so on.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:50 PM
3rd Gear

Bump

Quick Reply: FAQ AND BASIC TT INFO