Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

engine rebuild complete...need a little help :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 07:09 PM
1st Gear
Default engine rebuild complete...need a little help :)

So, I finally completed an engine rebuild after my timing belt failed. I had to replace the cylinder head because of bent valves. Thats all done now and the car actually starts and runs (much to my disbelief) however there is a problem.

The idle is a little rough, but not bad, and when i press the throttle, i get almost no response. It settles down and idles around 1000 RPM and then when i press on the throttle, i get to about 1300 and thats about it. i had the battery disconnected forever, i mean for over a month. Is there any programming that needs to be done to the ECU after a long disconnect like this? I checked the connectors for the throttle position sensor, cam position sensor, maf, etc...and they all seem ok.

I queried and erased the code that was in the ECU (P1517), and it hasn't thrown any other codes yet.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

MB

Old 08-26-2007, 07:16 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: engine rebuild complete...need a little help :)

Why didnt you jsut replace the bad valves? That would of save you hundreds. You should probably check your timing, that could be off a little

Old 08-26-2007, 07:22 PM
1st Gear

I couldn't find a local garage willing to machine my current head to new valves. Anyway, it actually turned out pretty good being able to drop in a new head with all the valves and cams set up properly.

Would the car actually start and run if the timing was off even a little? I *was* confident that i had the timing correct when i reinstalled the belt, i am going to have to go back out and check it again, which is a bitch now that the whole motor is back together and the right wheel is reinstalled

Old 08-26-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm make believe

Im not saying that is the problem, just what came to mind first. But yes, you can start the car with it off and have it run.... not well, but run

Old 08-26-2007, 07:43 PM
1st Gear

no well it did cross my mind, but i checked the timing at least 100 times before i buttoned up the engine. I will check it 1 more time just to be sure.

I am thinking its an electrical connection, because the engine actually sounds ok when at idle, but it just has no real throttle response.

but the ECU should require no work even after being disconnected for such a long time?

Thanks,

MB

Old 08-26-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm make believe

The ecu should be fine.

you have this plug installed?

Old 08-26-2007, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

The timing was off so bad on my rebuilt engine.
It caused a misfire in cylinders 1,2 &3.

Get it fixed by a german mechanic.

I did and my throtle response is back to OEM.

Not to mention no CEL and better idle. Solid @ 800rpm.
-c

Old 08-26-2007, 10:29 PM
1st Gear

interesting, when it was out of time, did you have virtually no throttle response like i described?

Old 08-26-2007, 10:34 PM
4th Gear

thats usually what happens i believe, i also dont think the car will run as smooth as it would normally... but not 100% sure

Old 08-26-2007, 10:41 PM
4th Gear

Did you let the throttle body realign? Turn the key half way, and you should hear it; then start her up.

Quick Reply: engine rebuild complete...need a little help :)