Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Engine made a loud BANG and then vibrates?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 08:28 AM
1st Gear

Another noise... When I cut the car hard to the Left it makes the vibrations twice as bad. Remember, the vibration is happening while not moving as well. I looked under the car and the wheel is not hitting anything, that I could tell. This is driving me nutts. I want to keep this car and eventually do something with it but it seems like when I fix one thing another breaks. I wish this car was a little easier to work on. Anyways, anyone had this problem or know what it is and knows how to fix it.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:47 AM
1st Gear

But I did look around the engine bay and see what was going on with the noise and pretty much got nothing. Couldn't find anything rubbing against anything and I torqued down on passenger side mount and it was tight so I just called it off and parked it. Plus the sun went down and most of my tools are in storage and most that I have with me have been stolen from me. So I have little to work with. I will be buying a whole new set in about a month and I figure I would buy my own tools instead of paying some dealer to fix my car. Prob would still be cheaper.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:02 AM
3rd Gear

It's only a better idea if you know how to fix it. And it doesn't look like you know what your doing..? Your probably better off taking it to Audi to get an estimate. They cant charge you for an estimate. That's where you should probably start.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:16 AM
1st Gear

I dont mean to come off like I dont know how to turn a wrench. I did the water pump on my TT and have replaced a lot of crap on this car when it breaks. But just in this situation to where I dont know why it would make all these weird vibrations, just doesn't make sense to me and seems to not make sense to a lot of other TT owners. I might have to run it by the dealer since no one has had this problem before. O, and the dealer will not tell anyone what is wrong with there car without paying a Fee for that. Try driving your car by there with a problem and say you want a free estamate on a repair in which you dont know what it is. They will charge over $100 an hour just to tell you what is wrong with the car. I think you mean the body shop will give an range of how much it will cost to fix body damage. Thanks for your help but I would like to hear from someone that might have had this problem before. Looks like you haven't so thanks for directing me to the dealer.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:17 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by audi_tt_4u
O, and the dealer will not tell anyone what is wrong with there car without paying a Fee for that. Try driving your car by there with a problem and say you want a free estamate on a repair in which you dont know what it is. They will charge over $100 an hour just to tell you what is wrong with the car.
1st let me apologize, I didnt mean to imply that you were a handless retard. 2nd, its the job of the service department to "up sell" you work, so they can make money. Also, they arent allowed to do any work without your consent.So you bring it in, and act like you want them to do the work. tell them you need to know how much it costs. they look at it, and tell you you need a new _______________. You ask how much. you tell them your gonna have to come back when you can get a little more $$$,....See where Im going with this? Any shop that tells you that your gonna have to fork over $$ to diagnose something is full of ****!! Sorry, but its the truth. Take it in for a frickn audi inspection. They would probably write you up for so much **** it would scare you. Some of it might not be necessary, but they would be able to tell you what the hell is wrong with your car. Much better than a bunch of enthusiasts that cant see your car.

Last edited by warranty225cpe; 03-30-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

You are prob right. But if someone else has had this problem then they could tell me what they did to fix it. I would find it surprising that I am the first of this probelm. But then again no one has said anything about having this problem before so I can only guess that I am the first. Sucks but I will prob have to take it by the shop and hand over 100 bucks to find out.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:02 PM
2nd Gear

Well I'd say it's either:

1. Engine mounts. Did you check the dogbone mount under the car?
2. Exhaust. Could be rubbing for some reason, though I've never heard of it happening randomly on a stock car.
3. Suspension. Get a prying device and see if anything is loose and rattling.

The bolts where the driver's mount attaches to the subframe aren't even visible/accessible without getting under the big harness that runs over top the mount so I wouldn't rule mounts out. I'd let the car run and try and track down the noise.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:41 PM
1st Gear

Do these cars have harmonic balancers on the crank? I had an old mustang that broke the balancer, felt like the engine was going to jump out of the car.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:14 PM
4th Gear

I've read through the majority of this thread, but I may have I missed a few things.
If so please excuse me.

Did you say where the noise came from, or perhaps describe the sound.
Was it like a metal on metal, big bang, or scraping?

What modifications if any have you done to your car?
Main focus on engine and suspension.

Do you have a CEL?
Have you scanned the car?

Do/Did you notice any strange smells? If so what were they.

How do your tires look?
Are the lug nuts tight?

Old 04-04-2009, 10:17 AM
1st Gear

check the four bolts that attach the subframe to the car if overtorqued they will pop out while driving and when it happens it is a very loud bang similar to firing a large gun and missing one of these bolts will cause vibrations and if you happen to be missing 3 like i was the front of car will begin to swirve while braking

Quick Reply: Engine made a loud BANG and then vibrates?????