Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Engine made a loud BANG and then vibrates?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 11:07 AM
1st Gear
Default Engine made a loud BANG and then vibrates?????

I have not removed the plastic or done anything to the car since this has happen just drove my car home and parked it and will work on it this weekend but wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. My wife was driving the 00 TT 180hp back from work and then she hears a loud BANG, like she hit a pot hole. So she pulls over and looks at the wheel and nothing is wrong, walks to the curb near where the noise happen and no pot hole. And ever since that loud bang the car has been vibrating like the car has solid engine mounts. The change in my ash tray is going crazy, everything in my car is vibrating. So when I went to go pick up my wife and I drove the car home the vibration starts at idle and just gets more vibration as the RPM's go higher. Does this sound like something someone else has had? Thanks for the help if I get any.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:27 AM
1st Gear

Other than the vibrations, does the engine run normally? If so, then it would likely be the motor mount.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm make believe

My guess would be one of the mounts are broken or a bolt worked its way free.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:38 AM
1st Gear

Yeah, the end runs fine. I was thinking about a bolt slipping loose, or a engine mount breaking, but dont have that much horse power. I did my timing belt about a year back.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm make believe

Might want to check the engine mount first then. it has been a long time, but the bolt can come out, i think it happened to ttkid on here months back

Old 03-26-2009, 01:45 PM
2nd Gear

Hope that the bolt didn't break off on the motor. They are a pain to get out.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:04 PM
3rd Gear

Also check the underside of the hood for any marks from the motor hitting. Not sure if it's the same on a TT, but a broken motor mount on some cars will lead to some wear/contact markings.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:31 PM
1st Gear

Hmmm, you were not driving at the time? Sometimes a person hit things and wishes to avoid telling the entire story. Is vibration only present when the car is moving?

Old 03-26-2009, 04:15 PM
1st Gear

It runs fine. The vibrating is present from when I start it and from then on. If the RPM's go higher then the vibrating gets louder and more annoying. I am not trying to over do it but the whole car freakin shacks whent he engine is running. I am prob going to look at it tonight and let everyone know what I found.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:16 PM
1st Gear

If it is not a quick and noticable fix then I will have to fix this weekend. I hope it will not cost much out of pocket. This car has cost enough in the past just from everything breaking on it.

Quick Reply: Engine made a loud BANG and then vibrates?????