Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

doing a fakeliminator turbo on a budget.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Default doing a fakeliminator turbo on a budget.

I was going to swap turbos once again not for more power but to bring my IAT's down, so iv'e been looking at the eliminator turbos from ATP. i have a 180ttq with kinetic Super k04-001. I got a custom 3" DP made for the quattro and overall i love the response and although power is on the low side i'm happy with it. (wouldnt mind a little extra up top) anyway, I was looking at the direct drop in eliminator and the price is steep. i mean really bad for a turbo worse than a genuine garret gt28rs or even the gt2x gt25 series. i have heard that the underperform the garret turbine housings. well i have been looking at different options and i feel that the gt2x or gt28r would be my ideal. keeping injectors around 380cc and just swap software again. the trick is not spending more money for a similar result as i have now. Well i went to e-bay. After some searching i found this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

turbo wise i consider this JUNK...... but here is the catch which sparked more interest. What other forums have said is that you cna buy and use this turbos with no problem once you rebuild them with garret internals. So a rebuild is hardly worth a very outdated design of a t28 right?!? well what about a swap. here are their specs.

VW 1.8t Upgrade Turbo Hybrid T28 50 Trim Bolt on
APPLICATION
Bolt on to VW Golf/Jetta 1.8T Exhaust Manifold, downpipe
Modification required for compressor inlet,outlet

DESCRIPTION
3" Inlet Diameter
2" Outlet Diameter
Journal Bearing - Wet Float Type
T28 Flange
4 Bolt 3", Bolt direct to Downpipe
Oil Lub/Cool
350 HP Capable
Compressor Wheel
0.50 A/R Cold Side

Ind: 45 mm
Exd: 60 mm
Trim: 45
Turbiner Wheel
0.86 5-Bolt Standard Hot Side
Ind: 52.9 mm
Exd: 45.47 mm

What about swapping out a gt28r chra and compressor side such as this one.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...R_707160_5.htm

i'm assuming this could be done. the turbine opening would need to be machined out .5mm but that is doable. everything else is a drop in the bucket. the only worries i have is a small sized turbine housing and a low quality casting. otherwise i would say 250-300 +shipping for a oem style turbine housing is cheap. hell you can get a gt2560 or a gt2860r for a low cost. if planned out right you could end up with a atp style turbo for about 700-1000 with adapters and all. and i doubt it would perform any worse or if it does probably wont be by much. i would expect any such combo to be good for 250 wheel on a quattro 180tt. my k04 puts me in the 215 range.

opinions please. also i like making stuff so this is why i'm looking at this option. money i have. brain i have. wanting to waste more money in my money pit i dont have. i might sell my k04 and DP and do somethig else but this would be a fun upgrade. if anyone has any info on that ebay turbo also post it. any info on the material used also helps. any info on the e-bay cast manifolds is also important as the casting is probably done in the same metal

Last edited by precision tt; 01-19-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm make believe

The problem with these setups is the transverse turbine housings are horrible. This is why the elims are poor performing compared to a longitude setup. A longitude setup produces just below the real housing by a small margin in both output and spool where the transverse is about 2-3x worse.

I would either save up for a kinetic hardware kit or build your own kit with a atp knockoff log manifold and either new or used atp dp. A gt28r setup with tuning and fuel kit will be about $2500 with all new parts but a used dp or $2700 with a new one. Be another couple hundred if you wanted to go with a 50trim or t3 60trim

Old 01-19-2009, 06:24 PM
1st Gear

damn, after i switched my ko4 out with the ATP GT2871R i love it. I seem to have more power, with it then i did before, and it should perform just as well after some new software and parts. I don't understand what yall mean by they are horrible, maybe its because the TT is the only Turboed car ive driven idk. But i enjoy the eliminator just fine, just my .02

Old 01-19-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm make believe

The 225 turbine housing is a little better than the 180/vw ones. However, you are still only going to make like 90% give or take the power (less for the 180 style) you would with better flowing manifold and housing plus another 200-400rpms of lag. So its basically a trade off.

Its to bad to, the DSM/Evo guys are making 500whp+ from turbos that swap right into place since its a much better design.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:40 PM
1st Gear

ya i know, i realy envy that about dsms/evos.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:48 PM

horible doesnt mean that you dont get the same horsepower. what it does mean is that it takes longer to spool up by a few hundred rpm and drops off up top faster. power wise you could get equal or similar but not quite as effecient. I am only looking for 250 wheel which even a gt25 could produce. i have broken or worn out enough parts to know that anythig more than that will just end up costing me in the long run. ( parts replaced to date due to wear: all suspension bushings, engine mounts, front axles, left wheel bearing, brake rotors/pads, strut bushings, most engine hoses, maf 3x...... etc. mucho dinero). I am aware of the performance aspect but legality or getting it to look legal is a big concern due to smog. I still pass now and want to make sure i will in the future. My smog guy doesnt care about intake or my intercooler but does care about the test otherwise i would throw the gt3076r i have in the garage on it. the average "bum" on this forum does not want to dish out 2500 for a kit and would probably much rather build himself a 1k kit if the peak power was good, dealing with the lag etc. bottom line is most people just want bragging rights not a race car.

by the way did you guys see the new eliminators which use a regular garret turbo with some weird extensions for the manifold and DP. i guess it defeats the purpose of looking stock. might as well do what cincy said.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm make believe

The crappy flow will limit power along with slowing spool.

You cant make a reliable kit, let alone get tuning for $1k. $2500 for new parts except dp is actually a steal compared to getting something like a F-R setup where you will pay over $3k in just hardware.

As for the new kit, it was there solution for those for the poor housings. Plus it allows the people to keep the manifold and dp they already got. Not the best thing, but its still a step up from the previous swap.

For you, i would go with a gt28r elim, but its still going to cost you about the same as getting a full setup which you obviously cant seem to do. The output should be okay for the housing and should have full psi before 3500rpms (3k for a .64 housing).

Old 01-19-2009, 11:16 PM

oh by no means i meant a complete kit. you cant do a complete kit for 1k even with used parts. Just a turbo that fits on stock dp and manifold. i guess i'm going from where a lot of us are. i upgraded all the addons like TIP DP DV IC. i have a k04 file from giac with 380 cc injectors, so a BT file is only 100 bucks. i can probably still swing the 380cc 's with 4 bar on a gt28r. I guess i really hate to spend 1700 on a semi crappy turbo. and i defiintely wouldnt go for their new option. if anything i might as well get the gt28rs and keep my boost low.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:33 PM
1st Gear

the point of getting a better turbo is to turn it up lol

Old 01-19-2009, 11:50 PM
I'm make believe

Originally Posted by precision tt
oh by no means i meant a complete kit. you cant do a complete kit for 1k even with used parts. Just a turbo that fits on stock dp and manifold. i guess i'm going from where a lot of us are. i upgraded all the addons like TIP DP DV IC. i have a k04 file from giac with 380 cc injectors, so a BT file is only 100 bucks. i can probably still swing the 380cc 's with 4 bar on a gt28r. I guess i really hate to spend 1700 on a semi crappy turbo. and i defiintely wouldnt go for their new option. if anything i might as well get the gt28rs and keep my boost low.
a 4bar will put the injectors at about 440cc and work with a 440cc program with some minor tweaks. The 28r elim should still preform well and put out 250whp no problem. It will just take a couple hundred rpms longer and a few more psi to do it. Not to many used ones floating around and i know a local that had the gt2x and hated it and went to a t3 60trim setup.

Quick Reply: doing a fakeliminator turbo on a budget.